Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra .5?

Default Re: Sierra .5?

Well guys, it seems there is quite a demand for a smaller Sierra-1 speaker. I am going to run some evaluations -- see what is actually possible with regard to performance and pricing. One place we *might* be able to cut some corners on the cabinet would be with the thickness of the bamboo -- for such a small cabinet, 3/4" bamboo would be overkill, 1/2 inch would most likely be just as effective and cost slightly less.

-3dB at 80Hz is the goal but I would be concerned about efficiency with a single 4" woofer. Like everything else, this will take some time but I definitely see the demand for this
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Well guys, it seems there is quite a demand for a smaller Sierra-1 speaker. I am going to run some evaluations -- see what is actually possible with regard to performance and pricing. One place we *might* be able to cut some corners on the cabinet would be with the thickness of the bamboo -- for such a small cabinet, 3/4" bamboo would be overkill, 1/2 inch would most likely be just as effective and cost slightly less.

-3dB at 80Hz is the goal but I would be concerned about efficiency with a single 4" woofer. Like everything else, this will take some time but I definitely see the demand for this
    ::rubs hands together::
    I'm excited to see what you come up with!

Great news!
    I officially started saving for them...

Would it make sense to make a .5 with a 4 or 6 ohm impedance if the efficiency is on the low side?
    Last edited by jvillas; 04-01-2009 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jvillas View Post
    Would it make sense to make a .5 with a 4 or 6 ohm impedance if the efficiency is on the low side?
    I don't think so....since that would require an amp section to handle that type of load, and currently, no other Ascend speaker has that requirement.
    -curtis

Cool, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by jvillas View Post
    With a speaker of this size, lowering the impedance might yield a 1/2 - 1dB increase in efficiency, probably not worth the effort.

After some preliminary calculations, I should be able to reach a sensitivity rating of 84dB, which will match up well with the Sierra-1 and provide plenty of output with 30+ watt amps/receivers.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

With a speaker of this size, lowering the impedance might yield a 1/2 - 1dB increase in efficiency, probably not worth the effort.

After some preliminary calculations, I should be able to reach a sensitivity rating of 84dB, which will match up well with the Sierra-1 and provide plenty of output with 30+ watt amps/receivers.
    Though I know I WILL have to... I can't wait to hear them!

geez...

i need another pair of speakers like i need a hole in the head, but if you make 'em, put me down for a pair of naturals...

to be honest, the sierra's as surrounds ARE a bit bulky... and i'm sure i can press them into service somewhere else...

I'll have to admit I wouldn't be in the market for this.

The Sierra-1 is small enough as it is for fronts (maybe too small?), and with the death of DVD-A/SACD, multi-channel sound represents < 0.1% of released music today. I just checked recently, and I saw maybe 25 or 30 blu-ray multi-channel music titles (out of thousands of records released annually). Point being, anyone that's heard a 200SE do surround sound and not really have to do much multi-channel music knows that they're more than up to doing the task.

If I could choose Dave's next project, it'd be the Sierra-2. It'd beat the 340SE in everything, and then some. I can't bring myself to go Sierra-1 because of the give and take that happens coming from a 340SE.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player