Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra .5?

Default Re: Sierra .5?

Quote Originally Posted by jvillas View Post
    I would hope that the .5 would have a broader appeal and use. .
    A more compact, front-ported or sealed speaker would make for an interesting high-end computer setup. I've used both HTM-200's and CBM-170SE's on my computers. The CBM-170SE's are great, but can be a bit awkward for desktop use due to their size and rear porting.

I would prefer rear ported just because of looks but I understand it could be a problem for wall mounting.

I wonder how the .5's will compare to the surrounds of the Energy Take 5.1 Classic system. My parents needed a low budget HT system and the Energy's paired with an Onkyo 606 work better than I could have ever imagined. Such a sweet natural sound.

Concerning my own systems and depending on the .5's performance, I may have to consider replacing the 200's in the rears. Meanwhile, it's all Sierra in the front end.

Quote Originally Posted by jvillas View Post
    I would hope that the .5 would have a broader appeal and use.
    I could see using 5 or 7 of these with a nice sub for a compact wall mounted system.

Concerning wall mounting, I hope they include a mounting plate to accomodate the Omni 20 wall mount.

Quote Originally Posted by 30shofar View Post
    Concerning wall mounting, I hope they include a mounting plate to accomodate the Omni 20 wall mount.
    IMHO, much of the appeal of these would be the ability to flush mount them. A threaded insert would be OK, but many of us would not want to attach it to a mount that makes it stick out another 4". A simple key-hole mount or something like this http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=344 would be more desirable. I know the keyhole mount could be added by the end user, but I'd rather use a factory designed & installed method rather than drill into the speakers.

-Dave

I second the keyhole mount for flush mounting, that's how I had my previous satellites mounted. The only downside is angling them is more work and trouble; though an angle bracket can make things a bit easier

Quote Originally Posted by scape View Post
    I second the keyhole mount for flush mounting, that's how I had my previous satellites mounted. The only downside is angling them is more work and trouble; though an angle bracket can make things a bit easier
    Exactly. Omnimounts were a lifesaver in my sutuation with my 200SE's. I'm sure many others have similar setups.

Truthfully, I have never felt the need to angle my surrounds down. Just a matter of preference I guess.

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DaveHo View Post
    Truthfully, I have never felt the need to angle my surrounds down. Just a matter of preference I guess.

-Dave
    Preference has nothing to do with it in my case. If it is not physically possible to mount my surrounds in the optimum location, I don't really have a choice.

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this.