Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra .5?

Default Re: Sierra .5?

OK...I moved the related posts to this thread.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    OK...I moved the related posts to this thread.
    ahh great, thanks for this- it makes things more relevant than just that url link I had.

Are we being serious ? A Sierra .5 ? I have been advocating, calling for these for quite awhile. Wow! Yes! No doubt this speaker would have extraordinary but limited bass response thus the need for a sub woofer would still be essential for serious 2 channel listening in most set-ups. I wonder a bit about efficiency and power handling given its smaller size.

What would I pay probably $500. to $650. depending on what compromising went into the design of the .5. I would also assume the Sierra1 would break the $1000. barrier perhaps reaching the $1,100. price point, or even higher.

Also special pricing would be cool with the purchase of a sub woofer.

Also, if it makes sense in a smaller speaker, to incorporate the OPPIX crossover technology.
    -curtis

Someone mentioned the Usher S520. I just sold my pair. Had them for about 9 months. They have great build quality. Well above its price point. What I found after 9 months of use was a rather limited bass mid-bass output and quite edgy top end. I could not listen to them for very long without getting tired.

This differs somewhat from my initial thoughts on these speakers posted elsewhere.

OK, let's play along...
    My wishlist for the Sierra .5 surrounds:
    -Able to cross over to sub at 80hz comfortably.
    -Sealed or front ported for wall mounting.
    -Same tweeter as Sierra 1.
    -Bamboo cabinet, with natural and piano black finishes.
    -Same size as HTM-200SE, or smaller.
    -Around $500 a pair.

I forgot to mention. Front porting is an excellent idea. Set-up becomes much less of a concern, and much easier to accomplish.

Smile Re: Sierra .5?

Dave,
    A .5 with all those options and a size of 7" to 9" tall 5" to 6" wide and deep. cross at 80 MAGIC!!!

Given most Ascend members thoughts on the possibility of a Sierra .5 loudspeaker, and its use as a surround mate to the Sierra 1 which only makes sense.
    I would hope that the .5 would have a broader appeal and use. The price point of say $500.-$600. is extremely competitive. The speaker market is flooded with offerings in this price range, and some of these speakers have pretty decent sound including Ascends own CMT 340SE. The challenge
    as I see it the .5 would have to be reviewed and accepted as among the very best offerings at its price point. Similar to how the Sierra 1 has been roundly applauded for its looks, wonderful sound, great value, and ability to hold its own among speakers costing much much more.I believe the Sierra1 is a Classic.
    Whenever, if ever there is a .5 there is no doubt in my mind that Dave would once again Oooh, and Aaah us all with a speaker that is both beautiful(eye candy), and with sound quality unheard of at its price point. Yet again destined to be another classic.
    Its magic. Dave's magic.

Is this a serious possibility?

While I'm very happy with my 200SE surrounds, I'd seriously consider the upgrade to a pair baby Sierra's to better match my L/C/R. Then I could move the 200SE's elsewhere.

I'd definitley be willing to pay something in the $500 range, maybe a little more. Sign me up for a pair of piano blacks please.