Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Sierra .5?

Default Re: Sierra .5?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    When a movie is mixed, it is done with direct radiating speakers. If the engineers want to create a diffused sound, then can do so with these speakers.

Bi-poles and di-poles ALWAYS create a diffused soundfield, and it will not create what the engineer intended.
    Understand but an engineer is also mixing with the intent that the listening environment is a large movie theatre environment. Therefore I wouldn't make a blanket statement that a diffused sound can’t be advantageous in a smaller home theatre because of how a movie engineer mixes for a mass listening environment.

I don’t think you can really say direct or diffused is better than the other. I think that they both have a place depending on the application.

Bi-poles and di-poles are a leftover technology from the Prologic days when the processor was creating the surround effect from stereo sources and the di/bi-poles helped create the illusion. Movies have been recorded in surround for quite some time now allowing sound engineers to put the sound in a particular spot.

They are still useful in rooms that have layout issues.

Quote Originally Posted by wish View Post
    Understand but an engineer is also mixing with the intent that the listening environment is a large movie theatre environment. Therefore I wouldn't make a blanket statement that a diffused sound can’t be advantageous in a smaller home theatre because of how a movie engineer mixes for a mass listening environment.

I don’t think you can really say direct or diffused is better than the other. I think that they both have a place depending on the application.
    Actually, when a movie is released on to DVD/BD, all but a few studios have the movies remix for the home...and they use direct radiating speakers. As far as I know, bi-poles/di-poles are not used in any mixing/engineering process.

I realize it is a preference, and I am not trying to dissuade you. What I am saying is that when the director/engineer intends for a sound to come from a distinct or pinpoint location, you will never get it from a di-pole or bi-pole. A diffused sound is meant more for ambience, and surround sound is now more discrete.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Bi-poles and di-poles are a leftover technology from the Prologic days when the processor was creating the surround effect from stereo sources and the di/bi-poles helped create the illusion. Movies have been recorded in surround for quite some time now allowing sound engineers to put the sound in a particular spot.

They are still useful in rooms that have layout issues.
    (bold is my emphasis)

This is the only reason I mentioned an interest in bipoles. The direct speakers are great in the prime seating area. Unfortunately some of the seats in the room basically only hear one side of the surround sound and bipoles would be helpful in distributing the sound to all seats.

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    (bold is my emphasis)

This is the only reason I mentioned an interest in bipoles. The direct speakers are great in the prime seating area. Unfortunately some of the seats in the room basically only hear one side of the surround sound and bipoles would be helpful in distributing the sound to all seats.
    If a seat is closer to any speaker, the listener will more of what is coming from the speaker regardless if it is a bi-pole/di-pole or direct radiator....in fact, it will seem more direct. So on one side the listener will hear a more direct sound, but from the side they are further from, they will hear a diffused sound.
    -curtis

If a seat is closer to any speaker, the listener will more of what is coming from the speaker regardless if it is a bi-pole/di-pole or direct radiator....in fact, it will seem more direct. So on one side the listener will hear a more direct sound, but from the side they are further from, they will hear a diffused sound.
    Actually my situation is the exact opposite. The seats on the left clearly hear the sound coming from the surround on the right but little from the speaker on their side (and vice-versa).

Regardless of speaker type not every seat in my room will hear the proper mix as intended by the sound designer/engineer. I'm just looking for the best compromise for all seats.

Actually, when a movie is released on to DVD/BD, all but a few studios have the movies remix for the home...and they use direct radiating speakers.
    Interesting. I did not know that. I just expected that the same mix used for the theatre was also used for the home release.

I realize it is a preference, and I am not trying to dissuade you.
    I understand. I'm not against direct as much as I'm pro-diffused as that was my first home surround speaker and I was quite pleased. As I mentioned above the HTM-200 is on my short list to replace the Polk diffused speakers that I'm currently using.

Quote Originally Posted by wish View Post
    Interesting. I did not know that. I just expected that the same mix used for the theatre was also used for the home release.

I understand. I'm not against direct as much as I'm pro-diffused as that was my first home surround speaker and I was quite pleased. As I mentioned above the HTM-200 is on my short list to replace the Polk diffused speakers that I'm currently using.
    Then there are TV shows/movies that are mixed specifically for the home....and direct to disc movies.

Diffused surrounds are what you know, and you very well may not like direct radiating....it is definitely different.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    Actually my situation is the exact opposite. The seats on the left clearly hear the sound coming from the surround on the right but little from the speaker on their side (and vice-versa).

Regardless of speaker type not every seat in my room will hear the proper mix as intended by the sound designer/engineer. I'm just looking for the best compromise for all seats.
    Understood...the same thing happens in a theater.

As long as my seat is good...I am happy.
    -curtis

Just wondering if these are still a possibility?