Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Sierra .5?

Default Re: Sierra .5?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Can you define "Near" for me
    Well, I know your definition is 6 months or so. ;^) Actually, that is probably your definition of soon.

I need a speaker fix, I want to stream audio to a virtue one amp and then to a pair of smaller bookshelf speakers. I was hoping a Sierra .5 might appear but need to get this project moving while WAF is still high. I have a pair of 170 SE's as my rear pair with Sierra LCR for my 5.1 HT setup. (HK 645 amp which is buggy) I was thinking about moving the 170's off the to office to work with the virtue amp. My dilemna is either a b stock pair of 170's or a pair of the Audioengine P4's in matching bamboo.... to serve as the replacement rear's. Any thoughts ???

If you want matching timbre, then Ascends.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by fraseronly View Post
    I need a speaker fix, I want to stream audio to a virtue one amp and then to a pair of smaller bookshelf speakers. I was hoping a Sierra .5 might appear but need to get this project moving while WAF is still high. I have a pair of 170 SE's as my rear pair with Sierra LCR for my 5.1 HT setup. (HK 645 amp which is buggy) I was thinking about moving the 170's off the to office to work with the virtue amp. My dilemna is either a b stock pair of 170's or a pair of the Audioengine P4's in matching bamboo.... to serve as the replacement rear's. Any thoughts ???
    Why not keep the 170's as rears for now, until (if) a Sierra 0.5 appears, and get the P4 for your office?

On the other hand, if you are getting something other than the 170's for your office, and don't have to stay with bamboo, that opens up a ton of options.

What are your budget/size requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post
    Why not keep the 170's as rears for now, until (if) a Sierra 0.5 appears, and get the P4 for your office?

On the other hand, if you are getting something other than the 170's for your office, and don't have to stay with bamboo, that opens up a ton of options.

What are your budget/size requirements?
    I am leaning towards keeping the 170's as the rears. After a good point about timbre matching was posted. As for budget for the office monitors, small is important but I think the bigger issue is budget under 450.00 this gets me into some pretty nice gear used too. The P4's were the smallest I have sized, something under 12inches tall would be nice.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by fraseronly View Post
    I am leaning towards keeping the 170's as the rears. After a good point about timbre matching was posted. As for budget for the office monitors, small is important but I think the bigger issue is budget under 450.00 this gets me into some pretty nice gear used too. The P4's were the smallest I have sized, something under 12inches tall would be nice.

Cheers
    Hmmm...in the $450 range there are some good options.

My first recommendation would be used ACI Emerald XL, if you could find them....but it may be very tough now that ACI has shut it's doors.

Some others, in no particular order:

Era D4 - I haven't heard them, but they are very well reviewed.

Mirage OMD-5 (new from Vann's) - Just got a pair of these and they are very nice speakers

PSB Image B4 - A cheaper option... PSB has a very good rep, although these are their entry level speaker

I believe there are also some speakers from Silverline (Minuet) and Totem (Mite and Dreamcatcher I think) that would meet your requirements as well. The Tweak City Audio WAF-1 is also a nice, "smaller" speaker, although with a $450 budget I think there may be better options.
    Last edited by alphaiii; 01-17-2010 at 06:38 PM.

I say keep it in the Ascend family But if you want an inexpensive, nearfield, non Ascend option until a Sierra .5 appears (or swoop in to purchase old Sierra's when Sierra 2's or SE's are released) what about inexpensive passive studio monitors? Behringer, Alesis, or Wharfedale Pro perhaps. Then again these options would not be as nice as a 170-se I think.

So.... any news on a timbre matched HTM-200 for the Sierra's? I'll be needing some surrounds in a few months *hint hint*

Quote Originally Posted by misterkit View Post
    So.... any news on a timbre matched HTM-200 for the Sierra's? I'll be needing some surrounds in a few months *hint hint*
    HTM-200 changed to HTM-200 SE just for this reason, close timbre matching to the Sierra-1 These are what I use as my surrounds with Sierra-1 as fronts
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    HTM-200 changed to HTM-200 SE just for this reason, close timbre matching to the Sierra-1 These are what I use as my surrounds with Sierra-1 as fronts

Me too, and they work great. I'm very pleased with them!