Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra .5?

Default Re: Denon avr2809ci a good match for Sierras?

the two FR specs just reflect the different FR range with respect to the 3dB and 6dB deviations. The 4B would need to be crossed over to a sub at a fairly higher point than the HTM-200SE....which has a +-3dB of 74hz. It also has sensitivity rating of 87dB as opposed to 84dB.....which roughly means it would take twice as much power to to drive the 4B to the same levels as the 200SE.
    -curtis

Aperion:
    (+/- 3dB) 120-20,000 Hz
    (+/- 6dB) 100-22,000 Hz
    200 SE's:
    68Hz - 20kHz +/- 3dB
    They are comparably priced. Sorry, but that's a huge difference in specs. A fair amount of the population starts to hear directionality @100 hz, even more @ 120 hz. I don't think I'd be happy setting my sub crossover that high.

I have the 200 classics as my back surrounds. They are remarkable little speakers. Before adding them to the home theater, I A/B'd them with some Boston Acoustics CR9's (8" woofer, ported). I preferred the HTM-200s, even in a huge room. They integrated with my sub better than the BA's. The HTM 200SE's are supposed to be even better. I don't see how 2 1/2 inches in height and an inch in width will be a huge aesthetic show stopper. There's also another spec that indicates a substantial difference, the Aperions weigh 6 1/2 pounds compared to the 200SE 10. I bet the beefier construction and (probably) bigger magnets lead to an acoustic difference.

Doug

Aperion:
    (+/- 3dB) 120-20,000 Hz
    (+/- 6dB) 100-22,000 Hz

200 SE's:
    68Hz - 20kHz +/- 3dB

ERA 4D 58Hz- 20KHz unsure on dB
    84 on sensitivity = to Aperion 4b

Thanks for the great info. It helped me quickly ruled out the Aperion 4B. Of course it was the wife’s choice when I placed a cut out of all three speakers on the wall . Now the final will be between the ERA 4D and HTM 200se. It looked like the ERA has a good range but 84dB sensitivity, that shouldn't be a problem with the maac and my pioneer sc-07??. Any thoughts I know the cost for the ERA is higher I might shop used on audiogon if I decide to go with the D4. Thanks, Vandy

The Sierra 1 can do 40hz with a 5 inch woofer. I bet the Sierra 0.5 could easily do 80hz with a 4 inch woofer...

That would be sweet. I believe the ERA d4 is a four inch woof with that ability.

The ERA D4's looks beautiful in pictures and the specs are quite impressive. I don't think I'd pay $600 for surrounds, though. If the mythic Sierra 0.5 was $350 or max $400 I'd consider it when I next add speakers IF it were a bamboo cabinet sized like the ERA D4 and if it wasn't marginal at 80 Hz crossover.

With 5.1 The HTM-200SE doesn't stand out in my large room and on the SP-30 stands they look pretty nice opposite the Sierra-1's (though at ear level) But if I added 2 more speakers, I couldn't have them as big as HTM200SE's (I returned 170SEs because it was visually too large for my room in 5.1....).

You guys are forgetting that the ability of a speaker's to play reach lower in the FR is not just a function of the size of the driver, but also the size of the enclosure, and efficiency as well (among other things). Asking for something like that in the class of the Sierra for $400/pr is a pretty far reach IMO.
    -curtis

But do rear channels need to be efficient? If that's what you give up, I think I'd live with it (for <$350 or <$400 and in a few years)...

Hi Guys,

Just to Summarize feature set for a possible Sierra .5

Single 4" woofer
    Same Sierra-1 tweeter
    Smaller than the HTM-200 SE
    Bamboo enclosure
    Easy wall mounting
    Front ported (will need to be ported to hit the LF requirement)

What would you be willing to pay for a pair of these?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,
    I would pay as much as $500 maybe more depending on size. I believe the ERA 4s in PB is over $700 retail, and the bamboo finish/ enclosure would be nicer! I would look for something a bit smaller then the ERA D4 more like the ERA D3 or the M&K k5. It would be nice to cross at 80 if possible. I know it's kinda dreaming. Vandy