Thread: Sierra .5?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sierra .5?

Thank you all for your advice
    A pair of HTM-200 SE in piano black should be fine then. At least until very small Sierra 0.5 surrounds are released.
    But first things first, F12SE awaits!

Default Re: Denon avr2809ci a good match for Sierras?

Quote Originally Posted by sbeveraggi View Post
    Thank you all for your advice
    A pair of HTM-200 SE in piano black should be fine then. At least until very small Sierra 0.5 surrounds are released.
    But first things first, F12SE awaits!
    Yeah, I'd be interested in some mini Sierras for surrounds. Currently I use some M&k K5s and they do a pretty good job. But they're aren't in piano black and don't have any bass at all.

The Aperion Audio 4B looks kind of like a mini Sierra but I doubt it sounds much like the Sierra.

Mike S,

I am very curious what a Sierra-0.5 would look like. The Sierra-1 is already a small speaker with 5.25" woofer. Where do you go from there without reaching the HTM-200SE?

Unless you view the HTM-200SE (4") as a mini CMT-340SE (6.5"). In that case the Sierra 0.5 could have a 3.5" driver or even smaller!

The Sierra cabinet is 2/3rds the size of the CMT-340SE....and has a soundstage as big.

The woofer in the Sierra is quite amazing.
    -curtis

My understanding from what Dave F posted during their introduction is that the HTM-200SE already use a similar woofer material to the Sierra-1 and have 2x 4" woofers.

My question was in ernest. I can see that if you compare an $800 and $250 speaker pair there are many deltas including the VLAM Bamboo and other differences in components. I'm just trying to understand what people see as a Sierra-0.5 that the HTM-200SE isn't (hopefully prioritized)... I can see myself paying $400 for another pair of speakers to go to 7.1 when the economy recovers or I get funny money (like award money from patents, publications). I'm very happy with the Sierra-1 AND the HTM-200SE and very curious about the Sierra 0.5 that is embedded in the collective conscience...

Default Re: Sierra .5?

How about this for an interesting application for a .5. I have a virtue one.2 amp (ICE amps maybe one day) and love the size of it. I want small desktop speakers to go with it. I want to stream music to it over wi-fi so it is low key, and sounds great. The only option I have at this point is Orb speakers or something pretty bulky in comparison to the virtue amp. I am hoping the .5 would work well in that environment and or a side / surround application to match my full size Sierra L/R/C. I hope Dave can find a solution to this dual purpose problem.

There is always a market for small, pretty speakers demanded by those not quite so demanding of that last 10-20% of sound quality. Most people don't consider a matte black box in a vinyl wrap to be acceptable--or least have a hard time finding initial acceptance.

I think the Era lineup is pretty well engineered for that, but since they don't sell direct, their price to performance ratio had me looking elsewhere. It would be interesting to see a challenger from Ascend.

Quote Originally Posted by ediblestarfish View Post
    There is always a market for small, pretty speakers demanded by those not quite so demanding of that last 10-20% of sound quality. Most people don't consider a matte black box in a vinyl wrap to be acceptable--or least have a hard time finding initial acceptance.

I think the Era lineup is pretty well engineered for that, but since they don't sell direct, their price to performance ratio had me looking elsewhere. It would be interesting to see a challenger from Ascend.
    I love the ERA speakers, but their low efficiency is just a deal-breaker for me. I had a pair of ERA 4's at home once....they really need 100wpc.

Quote Originally Posted by fraseronly View Post
    How about this for an interesting application for a .5. I have a virtue one.2 amp (ICE amps maybe one day) and love the size of it. I want small desktop speakers to go with it. I want to stream music to it over wi-fi so it is low key, and sounds great. The only option I have at this point is Orb speakers or something pretty bulky in comparison to the virtue amp. I am hoping the .5 would work well in that environment and or a side / surround application to match my full size Sierra L/R/C. I hope Dave can find a solution to this dual purpose problem.
    In order to reach the low-end requirement (needs to be "truly" flat to 80Hz or lower), the speaker cabinet will need to be quite a bit larger than the Orbs. I have measured the Orb satellites and while they are nice speakers for what they are, in reality, they do not come close to flat or even -3dB at 80Hz. As I recall, they were more like 12-15dB down at 80Hz. To reach the low end requirement for this speaker, the cabinet must have volume to it.

Minimum dimensions would be similar to the ERA D4.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com