Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 161718192021

Thread: Sierra .5?

Default Re: Sierra .5?

There are two sizes of 'small' speakers, 'micro' and 'LS3/5a'. Small is like my Energy RC-Mini's, about 7" tall by 5" x 6".

An 'LS3/5a' sized box (as I like to call them) is 12" tall by 7.5" wide and 7-10" deep.

Will this be a micro, or an LS3/5a sized speaker? I'm hoping for the later. Micro's, I find are really good for home theater setups in condo's, and maybe desktop systems. But that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    There are two sizes of 'small' speakers, 'micro' and 'LS3/5a'. Small is like my Energy RC-Mini's, about 7" tall by 5" x 6".

An 'LS3/5a' sized box (as I like to call them) is 12" tall by 7.5" wide and 7-10" deep.

Will this be a micro, or an LS3/5a sized speaker? I'm hoping for the later. Micro's, I find are really good for home theater setups in condo's, and maybe desktop systems. But that's about it.
    In order to meet the low end requirement, the cabinet would definitely not be "micro" sized. I would guess cabinet dimensions to be roughly in-between the micro and LS3 size.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    In order to meet the low end requirement, the cabinet would definitely not be "micro" sized. I would guess cabinet dimensions to be roughly in-between the micro and LS3 size.
    Groovy. You make 'em, I'll buy 'em.

No rush, I'm a patient man.

I don't know why but I always pictured a Sierra 0.5 being about the size of an ACI Emerald XL or HTM-200SE - something like 10-11"h x 6-6.5"w x 7-8"d.

In any case, that would be plenty compact, even at 11 x 6.5 x 8. Still very interested in these!

How about this for an interesting application for a .5. I have a virtue one.2 amp (ICE amps maybe one day) and love the size of it. I want small desktop speakers to go with it. I want to stream music to it over wi-fi so it is low key, and sounds great. The only option I have at this point is Orb speakers or something pretty bulky in comparison to the virtue amp. I am hoping the .5 would work well in that environment and or a side / surround application to match my full size Sierra L/R/C. I hope Dave can find a solution to this dual purpose problem.

There is always a market for small, pretty speakers demanded by those not quite so demanding of that last 10-20% of sound quality. Most people don't consider a matte black box in a vinyl wrap to be acceptable--or least have a hard time finding initial acceptance.

I think the Era lineup is pretty well engineered for that, but since they don't sell direct, their price to performance ratio had me looking elsewhere. It would be interesting to see a challenger from Ascend.

Quote Originally Posted by fraseronly View Post
    How about this for an interesting application for a .5. I have a virtue one.2 amp (ICE amps maybe one day) and love the size of it. I want small desktop speakers to go with it. I want to stream music to it over wi-fi so it is low key, and sounds great. The only option I have at this point is Orb speakers or something pretty bulky in comparison to the virtue amp. I am hoping the .5 would work well in that environment and or a side / surround application to match my full size Sierra L/R/C. I hope Dave can find a solution to this dual purpose problem.
    In order to reach the low-end requirement (needs to be "truly" flat to 80Hz or lower), the speaker cabinet will need to be quite a bit larger than the Orbs. I have measured the Orb satellites and while they are nice speakers for what they are, in reality, they do not come close to flat or even -3dB at 80Hz. As I recall, they were more like 12-15dB down at 80Hz. To reach the low end requirement for this speaker, the cabinet must have volume to it.

Minimum dimensions would be similar to the ERA D4.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by ediblestarfish View Post
    There is always a market for small, pretty speakers demanded by those not quite so demanding of that last 10-20% of sound quality. Most people don't consider a matte black box in a vinyl wrap to be acceptable--or least have a hard time finding initial acceptance.

I think the Era lineup is pretty well engineered for that, but since they don't sell direct, their price to performance ratio had me looking elsewhere. It would be interesting to see a challenger from Ascend.
    I love the ERA speakers, but their low efficiency is just a deal-breaker for me. I had a pair of ERA 4's at home once....they really need 100wpc.