Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: D15 Se setup

Default Re: D15 Se setup

defeatable crossover or not....my Rythmik sounds better just about any other sub I have heard. It has everything I need to integrate it into my system. I don't plan on ever crossing about 80hz, that comes with its own drawbacks.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by azanon View Post
    That was a question, and questions can't be wrong.
    Az, I am too busy to get into these issues with you once again, nor am I in the mood today

Pre-Dolby digital era and lack of- or inclusion of- a crossover "defeat" option have nothing to do with each other.

Sure, the receiver's crossover is in effect, BUT if your receiver is crossing at 120hz, and your sub is crossing at 80hz, which speaker is then playing 100hz material? Answer: (other than spillover) - none of them are.
    Other than yourself, I have not come across any Ascend customer (using any of our speakers, including our HTM-200 SE) who are setting the LP filter on the receiver to 120Hz. If that is what they wish to do, many of today's subwoofers should also be eliminated from their choices, including our servo subwoofers.

A bunch of stuff over my head, but none of which changes the fact that most modern subs allow you to defeat the crossover. Actually, so far, this is the only modern sub I know of that won't let you. Are there any other ID's that won't let you do it (which is a nice way of say, can't do it)?
    Ok - how many ID subwoofers are servo controlled?

Lamen's interpretation: You give a lot to gave "servo" benefits.)
    In your opinion, AZ... Honestly, I tire of your continual knocks against these subwoofers, of which you admittedly do not understand the functionality of- nor have you any experience with. The only option given up by adding servo is the fact that these subwoofers will cost a bit more and don't give you the ability to crossover at higher than 80Hz -- of which that option only eliminates you as a customer. To this date, this drawback ,that only you are attempting to make a big deal of, has not even come into question with any other subwoofer customer of ours or Rythmik, or has any other consumer even expressed concern about. By adding servo control, proven and well documented performance enhancements are gained.

These are the only subs I found that match the sound quality and dynamics of our Sierra-1 and I would never recommend anyone cross over at higher than 80Hz, regardless of what your "receiver" or Audyssey recommended. If my "receiver" recommended a crossover point higher than this, I would return this receiver and purchase another - esp if I planned on using Audyssey and didn’t plan on tweaking various options myself.

They lack one essential dolby digital era sub ability, which is the ability to defeat the crossover and allow the receiver to completely, and entirely control which sound goes where.
    Again, in your opinion... I certainly don't consider a crossover defeat feature as essential -- and I have been involved in subwoofer development since the days of Dolby Surround to Dolby Pro-logic to Dolby Digital. Regardless of the setting of the LP filter on the subwoofer, your receiver has full control of "which sound will go where". Set your receiver's crossover to 80Hz, and 80Hz (reduced by 3dB in amplitude) and below will go to your subwoofer, and 80Hz (also reduced by 3dB in amplitude) and above will go to your speakers. Set it at 60 Hz, and the -3dB crossover point will be 60Hz. Set it at 100Hz, and the -3dB crossover point will be 100Hz.

How your subwoofer reproduces the source signal it is sent is an entirely different matter than your receiver controlling which sound goes where. And yes, the Rythmik subs output signal will be reduced in amplitude at say 100Hz (as opposed to flat) but the only person I know of who is concerned about this is you. I certainly do not want to hear male voices through my subwoofer by crossing over at higher than 80Hz (the start of the male vocal range)

I will not spend anymore time on this, Az.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

LFE is dilapidated in my opinion and hopefully being phased out of the whole digital experience.
    read this: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/featu...equencies.html
    furthermore, if your calibration is proposing 120hz XO, something is terribly wrong or you have smaller performers, like a htib setup, which simply cannot reach below those levels. I would suggest going to avsforum.com and looking for proper setups for your system, but I highly suggest setting your speakers to cross over at 80hz, set the sub xo to 80hz on the avr and start performing tests, moving up towards 90hz as needed. even at 90hz I found the sound reproduction to completely change for my system, now everything is simply at 80hz -- which just so happens to be a great meeting point for many subs and quality speaker sets. btw, LFE's 120hz upper limit is not a rolloff, but rather a final cutoff, most information in this upper sub-range, in my opinion, should be reproduced by an actual speaker. the LFE rolloff begins around 80hz, which is ironically when most subs roll off...
    try and manually override your calibration with 80hz and listen to the improvement.
    Last edited by scape; 02-20-2009 at 12:04 PM. Reason: changed speaker name to generic type