Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet another "...how do Ascends compare..." thread :-)

Default Re: Yet another "...how do Ascends compare..." thread :-)

it also might be worth it to you to take advantage of the 30 day trial. yes, you have to pay return shipping if you don't end up keeping them, but you seem to have a good grasp of what you like in a speaker and what you are looking for, so trying them out in your room with your room corrections and on your gear would be a big benefit. I would definitely recommend demoing the Sierras.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I am just as eager to try the Emotiva with the Sierras and see what a difference it makes over my Onkyo TX-SR703. One of my earlier systems consisted of Vandersteen 1b's and a Rotel 60x60watt Amplifer, running off a NAD integrated amp's preamp section. This was prior to ever having a sub in the system. It sounded pretty good. One of the Vandy's developed a separated surround on the woofer and I had to have the dealer send it to California for repair. I took that opportunity to switch the Rotel into bridged mode, putting out a healthy 180 watts. Even with only one speaker playing, it was a drastic improvement in dynamics and bass solidity/quality. I was ready to buy a second Rotel and run them briged, but it had been discontinued and I did not have the WAF.

So, I have been toying with the idea of adding a separate amp for the L/C/R, such as the XPA-3, and with the current sale price of $499+ $25 shipping I am sorely tempted, but I really need to watch my pennies right now.
    I don't know how much better the Sierra's will sing with an external amp like the XPA-3 but I would guess it would be a noticeable improvement based on my experience with my Monitor 7's. I was never really very happy with the sound from my 705. The Yamaha I used before the ONK sounded noticeably better to my ears. I think the mid level ONKYO's deliver a lot of bang (i.e features) for the buck but I also think the amplifier is where they cut corners. I considered returning it soon after I bought it but decided to hang on to it and add an external amp - something I toyed with even when I was running the Yamaha.

Say, you are certainly welcome to cruise on down to C-bus with your Sierra's and do a demo of my amp if you would prefer not setting everything up at your place right now. I would be happy to swap them back and fourth between my 705 and the EMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ebh View Post
    it also might be worth it to you to take advantage of the 30 day trial. yes, you have to pay return shipping if you don't end up keeping them, but you seem to have a good grasp of what you like in a speaker and what you are looking for, so trying them out in your room with your room corrections and on your gear would be a big benefit. I would definitely recommend demoing the Sierras.
    Yeah, I have considered that but I want to gain more knowledge before I make that commitment.

I know the 30 day trial is offered with no strings attached and I know that is why they offer it...but I would prefer to use the return policy as a last resort. The shipping charges are certainly a factor but not a huge one. I don't want to spend money for something I don't use anymore than the next guy but it is more than that really. Ascend will not be able to sell the speakers as new so they will also be taking a loss on the deal and I don't feel good about that without at least putting in the effort required to gain a reasonable level of confidence in the purchase prior to ordering.

I figure the best I can predict at this point would be a 50/50 chance I will like them vs. sending them back. I have every confidence they are great speakers based on everything I have read but I really have no idea if I will prefer their sound over the Monitor 7's I'm currently using or vice versa based on my current knowledge level. I also understand that I really will not know if they are a good match for me and my environment until I hear them. That will be the ultimate and final test (30 day return offer) but my goal is to see if I can garner some additional information here before moving to that step.

Thanks for response and recommendations,
    Rich

Rich

Just as Ed suggested I am open for a demo also!
    Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Perhaps we could all coordinate a time when we could knock both demos out on the same day.

Off topic but...Is that your Vette in the your avatar picture?

Rich, having seen it firsthand, yes, that is Jeff's Vette. It is VERY nice!

BTW....if you want to do the demo at Jeff's with his Sierra's, that might work out better since he has a nice setup in his finished basement. I could stop by for visit as well if Jeff is open to all this. Last time I visited him, he had 340SE's across the front with 200's pulling surround duty. He had a nice Rotel receiver powering everything and a BIC 12" sub.

Oh, and a lovely wife to boot!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

You shouldn't boot Jeff's wife! That's not nice!
    Jon O.

Works for me!
    Jeff

Greetings. I'm a relatively new Sierra 1 owner. Although I've never heard the Monitor 7s, I'm just chiming in given that you mentioned Emotiva amps. I can attest that the Emotiva LPA-1 and Sierra 1s make a wonderful combination . I highly recommend you give the XPA-3 a try to see if you like it. I think Emotiva's XPA-3 sale ends this weekend, but regardless you do get a 30-day trial period.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Rich, having seen it firsthand, yes, that is Jeff's Vette. It is VERY nice!

BTW....if you want to do the demo at Jeff's with his Sierra's, that might work out better since he has a nice setup in his finished basement. I could stop by for visit as well if Jeff is open to all this. Last time I visited him, he had 340SE's across the front with 200's pulling surround duty. He had a nice Rotel receiver powering everything and a BIC 12" sub.

Oh, and a lovely wife to boot!
    Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    Works for me!
    Sounds good.

Let's see if I am keeping up...

Ed, I know you have Sierra-1 mains. Do you also use a Sierra-1 center?

Jeff, Do you have Sierra-1's or CMT-340's for your mains and center? It sounds like you may have replaced the 340's with the Sierra's but I'm not sure if I followed that correctly. Do you have both 340's and Sierra's?

I have Sierra mains only. I am still using an older B&W center speaker. I am using Axiom QS8's for surrounds, and a kit built Rythmik DS12(Direct Servo 12") sub in a custom-built 2cu.ft. sealed enclosure.

I definitely want to add a Sierra center. Jeff is running 3 Sierra-1's up front, with the 200's for surround, I think.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables