Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yet another "...how do Ascends compare..." thread :-)

Default Re: Yet another "...how do Ascends compare..." thread :-)

Rich

I have 3 Sierra-1's up front and 170SE's for surrounds. I replaced 340SE's in the front and 200's for surrounds.
    Jeff

Ah, 170SE's in place of the 200's. Is there a very noticeable difference? Did you sell off the 340's and 200's?

I am planning to upgrade my older B&W center to a Sierra-1 to match the fronts, but it may be a while.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I thought there was enough of a difference to make the switch. I traded in the 200's and sold the 340's.
    Jeff

Default Quick update: I'm now out of market for new speakers - at least for now

Thanks for all of the input and help you guys have provided. I am now out of the market for a new set of speakers to replace my Monitor 7's, at least for a while.

My funds are going to be redirected to a new heat pump and perhaps a furnace upgrade. My current heat pump gave up on us Monday morning. We aren't sure the extent of the damage yet but the heat pump will definitely need replaced. We may also need to replace our furnace. The furnace status is unknown at this time. The furnace is pretty old and we may not be able to find the parts needed on that end which could lead to the need to replace it as well. Therefore my discretionary funds are going to be impacted for sometime (3 months/6 months/longer?). On the bright side; I can get a furnace with a quieter fan if it needs replaced and reduce the HVAC noise level in my theater room.

I will not need to audition the speakers any time soon now. I do not want to hear a difference in the sound quality and then not be able to afford them for 6 months or more. That would be too cruel.

Oh well, thanks again for everything and I'll hopefully be able to set up an audition time in the future.

You only have 35 days until Spring, just buy some extra blankets!

That sucks when well-laid plans are trashed like that, especially for something like a furnace or roof job.

well, by the time you are ready, I may have my system setup and sounding fantastic!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    You only have 35 days until Spring, just buy some extra blankets!
    That was pretty good. I actually did laugh out loud at that one. Some people near me glanced over like I was crazy or something. I guess they aren't so happy at work that they randomly bust out laughing like I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    That sucks when well-laid plans are trashed like that, especially for something like a furnace or roof job.

well, by the time you are ready, I may have my system setup and sounding fantastic!
    Yeah, it does suck. I guess that is what the "rainy day" funds are for. I don't mind spending money and I don't mind spending money on home maintenance. I just hate unexpected home expenses like this...especially when it prevents me from buying something I want

I am actually starting to look forward to the new heat pump because my current one is right off the deck where our table sits and it can make conversations out there a bit taxing. We are not only going to get a quieter one but we are also installing it farther away from the deck. We grill out and eat on the deck most evenings in the summer so that will be really nice.

I hate to admit it but the idea of a new quieter furnace is also starting to sound nice. The current one is so loud that it can be distracting when it is on and you are watching a quiet passage of a movie or listening to music.

Thanks again for the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorX View Post
    I hate to admit it but the idea of a new quieter furnace is also starting to sound nice. The current one is so loud that it can be distracting when it is on and you are watching a quiet passage of a movie or listening to music.

Thanks again for the offer.
    I just had to replace my furnace. The 95% variable sure beat my 80% single stage in heat and noise. Not to mention a big notice in filters. While I wanted to buy Sierra my heat was more important and used alot more. maybe I will save on heating co$t? Now to save again.