Thread: 170s with Yamaha RX-397

Default 170s with Yamaha RX-397

I bought a Yamaha RX-397 to go along with 170s for my parents. For the most part, it sounds pretty nice, but on some recordings, reed instruments (clarinet, sax) can sound harsh/distorted. I have a Panasonic SA-XR57 with 170s and don't have that issue with the same recordings. The Yamaha sounds better than the Panasonic for the most part, just not with reed instruments. My 170s have been used for quite a while; could it be an issue of break-in, or is it probably the receiver?
    Last edited by ThomasC; 01-15-2009 at 08:28 AM.

Default Re: 170s with Yamaha RX-397

I would guess the room acoustics first, and then possibly the receiver.
    -curtis

The Panasonic was previously in the same room, so acoustics aren't the issue. Hmrph. I've already had the Yamaha for more than 30 days, so I can't return it. Maybe I'll swap the receivers and I'll live with the Yamaha.

very interesting...Yamaha settings and hookup are all correct?
    -curtis

I've got banana plugs attached tightly to the speaker wires, and the DVD player connection is fine. The only settings to change on the Yamaha are done with knobs, and those settings are all fine. I guess the 170s are exposing a flaw with the Yamaha that most speakers wouldn't.

I have two thoughts. How loud are you playing it? I notice this inexpensive receiver is 50w x2. It may be running out of steam. Your Panny has more power, so you may not have the same problem playing loud.

If you're listening at moderate levels. You may have a problem with the amp.

Doug

I'm going to listen to the recording again to make sure it only happens on the Yamaha. Maybe I wasn't listening as closely with the other equipment.