Thread: Speed Racer

Default Speed Racer

I know this movie got pretty bad reviews and a lot of people don't seem impressed with it, but in my opinion it is one of the most visually stimulating movies to come out recently, and is an amazingly entertaining movie. I've been recommending it to a lot of my friends and family lately, though I'm not too sure on how many have actually watched it yet...

Anyways, if you don't want to watch the entire thing, I honestly think everyone needs to see the end of the grand prix race at the end of the movie. This is by far the most intense and mind-numbingly exhilarating scene I've seen in a movie for some time, and that's after seeing it in the theatre when it released, and then repeating the scene 3 or 4 times when I watched it on blu-ray last week. For anyone on the fence about seeing this movie, give it a shot, you might enjoy yourself.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Default Re: Speed Racer

Having grown up with Speed Racer, when I see the movie at the store I am tempted to pick it up, but in the back of my mind I tell myself that it will probably disappoint me and don't do it.

Now that I have a free month of BB online I just may have to add it to my Que!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I also grew up with Speed Racer, and was excited to take my kids to see it.

Yes, I was disappointed. I didn't think it was terrible, and do think it is worth a rental....but not the $45 outing it was for the three of us to see it in the theater.

I might to rent it to see that scene on the home system.
    -curtis

Yes...it is visually stunning, eye candy if you will. But the movie pretty much was lame as hell! I also grew up watching the cartoon and was pretty disappointed in this movie. It could have been done so much better.
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

My son's favorite movie! Personally, I prefer the original cartoons
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I personally enjoyed it more than I expected - given the reviews.
    Reviews I read about the movie seemed to get annoyed with the frenetic pace.
    After (only) watching the movie at home, I can see where watching it in a theater on a big screen could induce a bit of fatigue or headache.
    But, at home on my 50" (and in Bluray), I found that I really liked the movie - definitely more than I expected to.

It's not all that true to the original series but I can overlook some of that.
    I was kind of disappointed that racers didn't die in the movie. That was one of the things I always appreciated about the cartoon was that when other racers crashed in a firey ball, they didn't walk out of the wreckage with some soot on their face like Wiley Coyote would.

Mitch

i never watched the original cartoon beyond a few minutes hear and there when my college roommate was watching it on dvd, so that may be partly why i enjoyed this movie so much... and about the racers dying, a lot of them you don't end up seeing what happens to them... a few you see shoot out of their cars in that crazy foam bubble thing, but a lot of the rest i always wonder what happened to them. i guess they probably have foam bubbles, too.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

You have never seen car races like the ones in Speed Racer, that much is certain. In terms of sheer, unprecedented visual spectacle, Speed Racer cracks open a new direction for big-budget cinema as the Wachowski brothers catapult hyper-happy colors from the ’60s-era Japanese cartoon into a technically ingenious hybrid realm.

In their Matrix trilogy, Andy and Larry Wachowski’s visionary digital environment plunged viewers into futuristic mind-melts of epic proportion. In Speed Racer, the brothers work with their usual collaborators, including Oscar-winning visual effects wizard John Gaeta, to go surreally retro. In place of Bullet Time or the hyperfacism showcased in the Wachowskis’ V for Vendetta, the computer-generated razzle-dazzle in Speed Racer operates on a slightly more humble plane by cranking up 20th-century iconography to a bold pitch.

Exhilarating action scenes roar when Speed Racer’s gleaming-white Mach 5 hurls itself sideways and zips through loop de loops while fleets of rabid competitors give chase like so many bug-eyed carny freaks on a roller coaster.

The violence in this film is really disgusting. I am deeply sorry that I took 7 years to view it. We walked on the dance scene fist after a character receives a shotgun tucked his nostril and he smiles. As per my point of view this is the best film of the family.