Thread: Which speaker for surrounds?

Default Which speaker for surrounds?

I've been eyening up the whole Ascend line for awhile now & I just might be taking the plunge shortly. I really like the CMT-340SE's...L/C/R for my large room (3,000cu') over the Sierra's. The only speaker that has me stumped are the surrounds. They will either be mounted on tall stands right up against the wall or directly on the wall. On the stands the back of the speaker will be up against the wall. From what I've read the 340's need some breathing room & sound like they wouldn't be ideal for that location.

What's your opinion...the 340's, the 170's or the HTM-200's for my situation. I don't listen to a whole lot of surround music. The main use would really be for HT & an occasional DVD video. Thanks.

Default Re: Which speaker for surrounds?

If you have to have them up against the wall, HTM-200SE would be the way to go.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    If you have to have them up against the wall, HTM-200SE would be the way to go.
    +1
    I have them for my back surrounds. They'll blend well with your 340's and are really pretty awesome little speakers.

Doug

I'd recommend HTM200's even if you did have space behind them. The only scenario I could see recommending better than HTM200 in the back would be a multi-channel music junkie, meaning lots of DVD-As/SACDs. Besides the cost issue you have the fact that they're smaller and less noticeable.

The DTS/DD5.1 music DVD's I've heard put the lion's share of the audio demand on the front stage, so even in that situation, HTM-200s are fine.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player