Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Wrestler

Default The Wrestler

I just saw the film The Wrestler, and I would most highly recommend it. I'm not a wrestling fan by any means, but I'll tell ya Mick Rourke gives one hall of a believable performance, quite convincing. Marisa Tomei, well what can I say is also very very good to sat the least. Warning not for kids.

Default Re: The Wrestler

A friend of mine has the an Academy screener disc of the movie and I am going over to watch on Sunday. She has a nice Panny 58" plasma...but not so good sound.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    A friend of mine has the an Academy screener disc of the movie and I am going over to watch on Sunday. She has a nice Panny 58" plasma...but not so good sound.
    Curtis, I hope you find it to be as good a film as I think that it is.

OK...saw it last Sunday. I am not sure I liked the movie much, but the acting was good.
    -curtis

Yeah saw it a couple of weeks ago, definitely not bad. Requiem for a Dream and the Fountain are also pretty good good movies which deserve to be seen!

I look forward to seeing the Wrestler when it come out on DVD. I think Mickey Rourke is an underrated actor. Angel Heart was another good movie he was in.

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    ...Requiem for a Dream and the Fountain are also pretty good good movies which deserve to be seen!
    RFAD is one of the most harrowing and disturbing movies I've ever seen. After hearing what an uplifting movie the Wrestler was, I thought Requiem might be interesting to check out. It traumatized me literally for weeks after seeing it. I still get slightly freaked out even thinking about it (so I try not to ). If you are at all sensitive or easily freaked out, don't see that movie, it is intense. What is the Fountain like on the "creep out" meter? This guy Aronofsky apparently can be brutal.

Oh I know of a good light hearted movie to make you feel better after RFAD, it's called Trainspotting What else... The crying game, also a good movie, and the girl is really hot, I'm sure you'll like her...

Fountain, not so much disturbing, it's really more of a fantastic 'wtf is going on!' movie, not bad if you like that sort film, somewhat reminiscent of the weird stuff by Lynch or Cronenberg, but in a lesser weirdness level...
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 03-16-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    Oh I know of a good light hearted movie to make you feel better after RFAD, it's called Trainspotting
    Lol. I actually liked Trainspotting - one of my favorite movies. But that's child's play compared to Requiem.

I also appreciated that the story focused on two professions that are frowned upon in society, that being professional wrestling and stripping. Both professions are linked in the film and has the audience realize how similar they are. We also see the hardship of carrying out such a profession. I really enjoyed this film and had the pleasure of meeting the director after the showing.