Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ear Height?

Question Ear Height?

Hello, I noticed that the stands for the 340's are 24" tall. Given that the 340's are 21" tall, that would put the tweeter at about 35" when placed on the stands. So, optimal ear height is around 35" from the floor. Am, I correct here? If not, what do you consider to be the correct distance from the floor then? I am aware that some people are taller than others and as such have larger ear heights respectively. My guess is, that 35" would be a good reference point for comparative purposes. Just curious is all. Have a Happy and Safe New Yearl!!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil
    Last edited by soundfreak38; 12-31-2008 at 05:46 PM.
    Tame the peaks, minimize the dips/nulls and ONLY then are YOU on YOUR way to bass nirvana!

Default Re: Ear Height?

Quote Originally Posted by soundfreak38 View Post
    Hello, I noticed that the stands for the 340's are 24" tall. Given that the 340's are 21" tall, that would put the tweeter at about 35" when placed on the stands. So, optimal ear height is around 35" from the floor. Am, I correct here? If not, what do you consider to be the correct distance from the floor then? I am aware that some people are taller than others and as such have larger ear heights respectively. My guess is, that 35" would be a good reference point for comparative purposes. Just curious is all. Have a Happy and Safe New Yearl!!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil
    Hey Phil, I didn't realize that it was you until I noticed your avatar!

I just measures my 340se's with the matching stands. Without spikes (I have felt pads under them for the time being) to the center of the tweeter is just about 33". I believe that the height is just an average ear height for average people on an average seat??? I don't believe that there is a optimum ear height...That would probable be room dependant... Maybe Dave F. could shed more light on the subject.

Happy New Year,
    Doug
    Once your reputation is ruined you can live quite freely

Yes ,if your tweeter height is 35", your optimal ear position should also be 35", but, believe me this is rarely the case. Your best compromise would be having your tweeters positioned above rather than below your ears. For that matter I would never recommend having tweeters placed below your ear height. How much above? 2" or 3" should not matter.

Be sure to measure your ear height at your listening probably seated position.
    Last edited by jvillas; 01-01-2009 at 09:19 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Ear Height?

Quote Originally Posted by STRONGBADF1 View Post
    Hey Phil, I didn't realize that it was you until I noticed your avatar!

I just measures my 340se's with the matching stands. Without spikes (I have felt pads under them for the time being) to the center of the tweeter is just about 33". I believe that the height is just an average ear height for average people on an average seat??? I don't believe that there is a optimum ear height...That would probable be room dependant... Maybe Dave F. could shed more light on the subject.

Happy New Year,
    Doug
    Hey Doug!!!! Happy New Year to you as well my friend. Yeah, it kinda looks like there really is no optimum ear height. I do know mine would be on the lower end of the scale given that I am not very tall. However, I was just trying to ascertain a height that would fit most people. My guess is, 33"-36" would all work about the same. Perhaps, Dave could chime in here whenever he finds the time. Once again Doug, it is good to hear from you. Hope all is well.

Cheers,

Phil
    Tame the peaks, minimize the dips/nulls and ONLY then are YOU on YOUR way to bass nirvana!

Quote Originally Posted by jvillas View Post
    Yes ,if your tweeter height is 35", your optimal ear position should also be 35", but, believe me this is rarely the case. Your best compromise would be having your tweeters positioned above rather than below your ears. For that matter I would never recommend having tweeters placed below your ear height. How much above? 2" or 3" should not matter.

Be sure to measure your ear height at your listening probably seated position.
    Interesting info. My stands are 29" so that puts the tweeters on my 340's at about 40". I believe that is a bit too high. As always, I could be wrong. I plan to modify my stands so that they too will be 24" tall. I also plan to make the top plate a bit larger to accommodate my 340's a bit better. It looks to be an easy modification. Thanks for your input. Happy New Year to you.

Cheers,

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by soundfreak38 View Post
    Interesting info. My stands are 29" so that puts the tweeters on my 340's at about 40". I believe that is a bit too high. As always, I could be wrong. I plan to modify my stands so that they too will be 24" tall. I also plan to make the top plate a bit larger to accommodate my 340's a bit better. It looks to be an easy modification. Thanks for your input. Happy New Year to you.
    The stands I used for my 340's were 31" high. I sit about 10 feet from the speakers. Even at that height it is still well within the listening window.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    The stands I used for my 340's were 31" high. I sit about 10 feet from the speakers. Even at that height it is still well within the listening window.
    Hi Curtis and thanks for posting. My listening position is about 6' from my 340's. As such, would that make any difference? The reason I ask is because your seating position is further back. Happy New Year to you.

Cheers,

Phil

Hi soundfreak38, here are a couple of past threads to look at. Hope this helps you. Plus there are a few more.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...speaker+height

Quote Originally Posted by jvillas View Post
    Hi soundfreak38, here are a couple of past threads to look at. Hope this helps you. Plus there are a few more.

Thanks JV for the links. The second one seems like dejavu. I just have a lot of work ahead of me once I start to fine tune everything. After all, I ONLY have to please myself as I reside alone. Happy New Year to you!

Cheers,

Phil
    Last edited by soundfreak38; 01-01-2009 at 03:58 PM.

Thank you, and Happy New Year to you. You know after so many years, I will still tweak my speakers now and than. Sometimes up,sometimes down, more toe in or less. I will move them closer to me or further. I'll bring them closer together or further apart. I guess I'm a little neurotic, or should I say a perfectionist, and I"m strictly a 2, 2.1 channel music fan. I just can't imagine if I had a HT set-up.