Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What changes have you made to your system(s) in 2008?

Default Re: What changes have you made to your system(s) in 2008?

For 2009 a subwoofer is something I'll be looking into. The Rhythmik subwoofers are no doubt very very good subwoofers. They are just not what I am looking for. I very likely will be seeking something smaller with less extension, and less powerful. Currently I use my subwoofer very lightly, and sparingly, but still feel it is crucial for a full musical experience, and enjoyment.

For music you could try to find a Velodyne cht-8, I find it works well for music.

I have redone everything this year, I bought Revel C-30 center, L/R Revel M22's, I kept the Ascend 170se's, purchased Onkyo 805, Acurus 200x3 amp, Velodyne cht-8 sub, eD A5-350sub, kept Hsu stf-2 sub, Sony bd350 Blu-Ray. OMG, I hope my wife never finds the bills for these. I'm afraid to ask for a SOny 52" 1080 p hdtv. This fever is gonna kill me yet. UPGRADEITIS.

Quote Originally Posted by leon55 View Post
    I have redone everything this year, I bought Revel C-30 center, L/R Revel M22's....
    What made you go with the Revels? Did you try the Sierra?
    -curtis

Hey Curtis, I did try the Sierra's, but I only kept them for 2 weeks. In their defense, I didn't have them long enough to break them in. At the time I had an Emotiva lpa-1 amp and I couldn't tell that much difference between the 340'se's and the Sierra's, especially for movies. I decided to keep the 340'se. Then I caught this terrible disease. Yea, that word again. Next thing I know I ordered the Revels. I really like the M22's, they remind me of the Sierra's as far as size. They sound good with the 170se's also. And the C30 is a monster center, 3 way. Until I get the bug again I will probably stick with these for awhile.

That "bug"......a terrible thing.

I really want to hear a pair of Revel M22's. When Microsoft was promoting HD-DVD, their demo truck was outfitted with all Revel speakers and subs....sounded great.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    That "bug"......a terrible thing.

I really want to hear a pair of Revel M22's. When Microsoft was promoting HD-DVD, their demo truck was outfitted with all Revel speakers and subs....sounded great.
    You owe it to yourself to listen to a pair. You should have a dealer somewhere close to you. I would love to hear your impressions.

I am trying not to set foot in A/V shops right now. Everytime I do, I want a new TV.
    -curtis

Smile Re: What changes have you made to your system(s) in 2008?

Hi all.
    First off, all the best for the New Year. Hope we all see better economic times.
    Well, for starters, I purchased my first HT set of speakers in Janurary (2 pairs JBL Stadiums) and for a short while it was good.
    Bought a Epik Tower Sub in May for the LF. Could not be more happier with the low end repsonse. A very impressive and more than capable sub in a 5300cu ft room.
    In August, purchased a Pioneer 1018AH reciever for the features at that price point. This made me realize that the JBL's were not very musical but the HT was ok.
    Been shopping around since then for a good 5.1 setup and after months of reading reviews and keeping up with feedback, Ascend topped my list. Partly due to Tower owners being impressed with their speakers. Got the front L/C/R 340se as a demo set in December and have been throughly happy with their HT and music response. I was re-discovering all my favorite cds and dvds again.
    Possible changes for next year? A BR player for sure. The 340 I think are excellent as is. "Do the Sierras really top them?"
    Option 1: Add the 170 as surrounds.
    Option 2: Sierra fronts with current 340 as surrounds.
    Option 3: A complete 5.1 Sierra setup.

Right now option 2 seems highly probable.

I've gotten back into vinyl, buying a Rega P1 with glass platter upgrade. I also replaced the stock Ortofon cartridge with an Audio Technica AT440MLa. On the digital side I bought a Cambridge Audio 640C v.2 cd player. I've been extremely pleased with these additions.
    "same as it ever was"

Ben Wood!!! Ben's post/review of Ascend speakers on a now defunked forum is the reason I started investigating/researching Ascend Acoustics speakers.
    -curtis

I decided to upgrade my system. I've been using Altec Lansing 2100 computer speakers in my setup since I bought them in college ($50). Finally I get to step up from those 1" mains and 4" subwoofer drivers (although the sub does have 2 drivers... so it hits pretty hard).

After nearly blowing my mind researching the different speakers and companies (and reading about plenty of others in the exact same position) I decided that I really couldn't make a bad choice. All I needed to do was make a choice.

So... I decided on:

Marantz sr5003 receiver
    Sierra 1 Mains
    HTM-200se center and L/R surrounds
    D15-SE subwoofer

Marantz because of sound quality, 1080p upconversion, audyssey, pre-outs, and a great deal on a refurbished unit.

Sierras because I listen to 2 channel music and don't want to get into "upgraditis." I blew my budget slightly to get them, but with the b-stock deals and holiday sales I couldn't resist.

200s for HT, easy placement, and small price. I figure I'll upgrade to Sierras if I ever get into 5.1 music or am unhappy with the center (which I don't think I will be).

D15 sub because of sound-quality, low frequency extension, and price-point... and bass is sexy.

All of my decisions were based entirely on forum posts and user reviews (and of course my own requirements). I don't expect to use it, but the 30 day return policy made it easy to take the plunge. I'm going to be a teensy bit irritated if I don't like the new setup more than the Altec 2100s. The Ascends were ordered today. Excitement!

All of my "quality" listening so far has been through a pair of studio monitors connected to my computer via an external audio device. It'll be fun to have something to compare.