Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What changes have you made to your system(s) in 2008?

Default What changes have you made to your system(s) in 2008?

Hi all, seems this past year many Ascend members have made lots of changes to there set-ups. Receivers, amps, preamps speakers, DVD players, etc. etc. Would like to know what changes you have made, and any plans for 2009. Please be as specific as you like. I would particularly like to know what got replaced.

I am a 2 channel guy and made a number of changes to my systems. I will detail them a little later.

Default Re: What changes have you made to your system(s) in 2008?

My plan was to get a pre/pro to handle HDMI audio input and the lossless codecs, along with a blu-ray player.

But since I got the blu-ray player for Christmas, and it has 7.1 analog output, I need to rethink what I want to do. The new pre/pro is not as much as a priority now.

My Epson HDTV leaves me wanting new HDTV everytime I set foot in a electronics shop. So a replacement is on my "want" list.

I have around 25 SACD and DVD-A discs, and I have to evaluate what those formats mean to me. If I want to stick with them, I would need something like the new Oppo BD universal player that is due out soon.

The only change I made in 2008 was the Rythmik sub.
    -curtis

i added an emotiva xpa-5 amplifier to my system, along with a ps3 for bluray and a new 52" lcd since i got my own place now and am no longer using my parents' tv. for 2009, i would like to get a new receiver to replace my yamaha, but lately i've been having an itch to build a nice simple bedroom system. currently looking at an april music aura note with a pair of sierras. if i end up getting this, the new receiver might be put on hold for awhile...
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Wow, where to start? Since our daughter is now running all over the house and into everything we decided to simplify all the upstairs A/V stuff. We put a 32" flat panel in the master bedroom, a 20" in the kitchen, and just got a 26" for her playroom. About to replace our aging Sony 51" RPTV in the living room with one more flat panel, probably a 52" whenever I find one that really does it for me. I'm leaning toward the LG LCD due to it being RS232 controllable.
    Also, scored an Extron 8x4 video/audio matrix switch, so a couple of months ago I moved all the upstairs A/V equipment into an unused small closet and attempted a 4 zone IR distribution setup that never would work right. Went RF for Christmas and it's been great. Rock solid.
    Right now, I'm still working on the downstairs theater as time and funds permit. It's going on 2 years, and I'm still not finished. Got a Yamaha receiver and an Onkyo 805 sitting in boxes downstairs along with my Outlaw amps and what's left of my speakers. Sold some, kept some. Upstairs is just going to be TV speakers only and a whole house audio system.
    I'm also about to start installing an Elk M1 Gold security/automation system, so that's another project that will no doubt involve a lot of scope creep and additional time on my part that will keep me from finishing the theater any time soon. That's about it.
    - EVH III

Well, for one, everything is now in boxes. Trying to figure out where to set it up in the new house. I did just get a Panasonic BD55 Blu-Ray player. Have it hooked up straight to a 42" Sharp AQUOS running 1080P. Picture looks incredible! The sound is decent for tv speakers, but I can't wait to get the Sierra-1's with my 12" Rythmik sub going.

No big plans for 2009 system-wise, but you never know!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

big changes in 2008. got my sierras, which was a major upgrade. Then near the end of the year, upgraded to a Sherwood a-965 amp and a Yamaha 663 acting as pre-pro (kinda wish I had gotten an Onkyo 805 but was trying to save money while waiting for a dedicated pre-pro). I also damaged my Rocket UFW-10 subwoofer by dropping a Sierra onto it. Also got a PS3 for blu-ray playback, and the HDMI card for my Panny 9UK plasma.

For 2009, I'm planning on a Rythmik sub and maybe a new pre-pro (keeping my eye on emotiva, outlaw and the onkyo 886). Also I'll pick up the sierra port plugs at some point. No other plans at this point. I feel like with the addition of a new sub and maybe pre-pro, my system will be pretty strong. I have thought about an external dac, but that is not a priority right now.

Not much change on the audio end for '08. Switched receivers to a Denon 2808ci.

On the video side I moved to a 50" Panasonic plasma and BD35 blu ray player.

Well my changes are the addition of the proceed amp & preamp (2CH) for the sierras, a Squeezebox for streamed music, the D-15SE Rythmik sub, replaced my older oppo 970 with the 980, and I think I picked up the PS3(blu-ray) at the beginning of the year or maybe it was the end of 2007 I also created a 2ch bedroom setup with some 200SE's and a 42" panny plasma and also a pair of the 200SE's in my garage.

I did learn a lot about calibrating and plotting my rooms response. I spent more time with this both in my living room and theater room recently.

I have no updates planned for 2009 other than maybe picking up 3 sierras to replace the 170SE's & 340C SE in my theater room.

Happy New Years to all!

Brandon

I started 2008 watching movies on a 27" standard def CRT. I ended 2008 watching movies on a 112" diagonal screen using HD front projection.

I started 2008 with my main audio system consisting of:
    10 year old Boston Acoustic CR9's as L/R mains
    ~25 year old Infinity Qe's as surrounds
    23 year old Infinity 10" servo sub
    NAD T762 as my AV receiver.
    SD Dish satellite and DVD player as inputs.

I ended up 2008 with"
    Ascend 340's as front L/C/R
    Ascend 170's as side surrounds
    Ascend 200's as back surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD as sub.
    After using a Panny XR57 for a few months, I'm back to the NAD T762.
    HD Dish satellite, DVD player, PS3 (Blu Ray & games) and WII as inputs.

The biggest change, of course, is going from a great room as our viewing/listening area to a dedicated home theater, which I built from the studs up. I had help with the sheet rock and had someone install the suspended ceiling and carpet. Other than that, I did all framing, electrical, audio and plumbing (for the adjacent second kitchen/snack bar) work.

Needless to say, it's been quite a year!

Next year, if things go OK, I plan to upgrade to a new receiver.

Doug

For me....sold my Pioneer 1014 and Emotiva LPA-1 and replaced it with a Pioneer Elite SC-05. Sold my Mirage omni-S12 and replaced it with an HSU VTF-3 Mk3. Sold my 200's and purchased 200SE's. Added a Panasonic BD30 Blu-ray player to my equipment.
    As for 2009, I expect it to be much more quiet
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1