Thread: What Center Channel Speaker?

Default What Center Channel Speaker?

Hi,

I would like some opinions of what would be the ideal center channel speaker for an otherwise HTM-200 SE setup. This would be a 7.1 channel setup.

The room size is ~14x13x7. This is an enclosed room. I am currently using a Yamaha RX-V863 receiver and an Emotiva UPA-7 amp. The Yamaha will go as soon as the UMC-1 processor becomes available. I also am using an SVS PC12-NSD subwoofer. DirecTV also.

The fronts need to be wall mounted, therefore the HTMs. Also, there are no studs where they need to be mounted, so I figured the HTMs would stand a better chance not ripping out from the drywall.

The 4-surrounds will also all be wall mounted.

The center can be any size. It will be on a speaker stand just below the television. The tv is a 40" Samsung (LN40B750).

The obvious choice seems to be to make everything the same and go with the HTM, but would a larger center channel speaker improve the overall experience? Would a 340 actually degrade the overall sound? This system will be used primarily for Home Theater (At least 95%). I already have a pair of Sierra-1s for music. In addition, the volume will usually be soft to moderate. At times I'll probably turn it up, but usually it will be listened to in the 60 and 70 decibal range.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Ross

Default Re: What Center Channel Speaker?

i would just go with a htm center, if you were going to be listening a little louder more frequent i would say go with a 340. 7.1 with htm's will sound awesome no question.

Default Re: What Center Channel Speaker?

Thanks for the reply!

Has anybody ever used a CBM-170 SE or CMT-340 SE for the center and HTMs for the fronts? If so, did they blend well?