Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Using Sierra-1s w/ "Small" Subwoofer

Default Re: Using Sierra-1s w/ "Small" Subwoofer

ahender, maybe I missed it, but were you planning on using one of the little Energy speakers as a center channel? I think that would be a bad idea. They might be ok for surround speakers (I'm currently using some small M&K K5 speakers for surrounds). It is very important, however to match the center channel with your left and right mains.

The Sierras will have better midbass than the small energy sub. I'd recommend crossing the Sierras at 60hz. That's what DaveF recommends and I'd trust his word over the "experts" at avsforums.

oh forgot to mention, I have an onkyo 805 (similar setup to the 705 I'm sure) and you can definitely turn double bass off. Actually I believe double is only an option if you set the mains to full range. If you cross them over at 80hz or 60hz, the double bass option is automatically disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike^S View Post
    The Sierras will have better midbass than the small energy sub. I'd recommend crossing the Sierras at 60hz. That's what DaveF recommends and I'd trust his word over the "experts" at avsforums.
    Some of those experts really are experts though.

According to Audyssey's head guy, you should let the sub handle the bass well above 60hz in most cases, or at least set the cross higher. As you probably know, a crossover isn't an immediate redirection of the sound below that point. A cross of 60hz will still allow much of the bass below 60hz to be sent to the mains. Why flirt with the limits of the Sierra when you can send the sound to a speaker (the sub) especially designed to excel at those frequencies?

Below 80hz especially (I go with 100hz for my 340SE per Audyssey), I tend to think a well-designed sub (like the ones Ascend sells now) will wipe the floor with the Sierra's on bass quality.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Quote Originally Posted by azanon View Post

According to Audyssey's head guy, you should let the sub handle the bass well above 60hz in most cases, or at least set the cross higher. As you probably know, a crossover isn't an immediate redirection of the sound below that point. A cross of 60hz will still allow much of the bass below 60hz to be sent to the mains. Why flirt with the limits of the Sierra when you can send the sound to a speaker (the sub) especially designed to excel at those frequencies?

Below 80hz especially (I go with 100hz for my 340SE per Audyssey), I tend to think a well-designed sub (like the ones Ascend sells now) will wipe the floor with the Sierra's on bass quality.
    I have a 12" Rythmik direct servo sub. I would not say the Rythmik would "wipe the floor with Sierra's on bass quality." I think the real benefit of the sub is that it extends the high quality bass of the Sierra's lower, without compromising the sound quality. It opens up the soundstage as well and adds impact to movies.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I have a 12" Rythmik direct servo sub. I would not say the Rythmik would "wipe the floor with Sierra's on bass quality." I think the real benefit of the sub is that it extends the high quality bass of the Sierra's lower, without compromising the sound quality. It opens up the soundstage as well and adds impact to movies.
    Agreed! It also relieves the Sierra from having to do work that low.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by azanon View Post

He's running a cheap 8" energy htib sub. Which do you think has better bass?

When I set the cross over for the Sierra's at 80hz I lost some precision in imagining and the 3-D soundstage. It improved significantly crossed over at 60hz. I don't know why? Maybe the quality of my SVS cylinder sub isn't that great for music?

Quote Originally Posted by Galwin View Post
    When I set the cross over for the Sierra's at 80hz I lost some precision in imagining and the 3-D soundstage. It improved significantly crossed over at 60hz. I don't know why? Maybe the quality of my SVS cylinder sub isn't that great for music?
    Could be one of the reasons, but could be others as well.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Could be one of the reasons, but could be others as well.
    Curtis, I am curious as to what the other reasons may be. The experience has got me thinking about upgrading the sub some time in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Galwin View Post
    Curtis, I am curious as to what the other reasons may be. The experience has got me thinking about upgrading the sub some time in the future.
    The room acoustics play a big part. Have you taken measurements on the sub's response?
    -curtis