Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Using Sierra-1s w/ "Small" Subwoofer

Default Using Sierra-1s w/ "Small" Subwoofer

Hi:

I am expecting my 2 Sierras to arrive sometime this week.

This past weekend I bought a set of Energy Take Classics at Circuit City for $180.

I know these may not be a perfect match but I could not resist the temptation to get the Classics at that price.

The cheapest I have seen them online is $499.

Since the Energy set comes with a small subwoofer, I am trying to determine how to get it to work with the Sierras without lessening the overall sound quality of the Sierras.

From what I have read, seems like 60Hz is the ideal crossover from the Sierras to a sub.

My receiver is an Onkyo 705 and right now it seems like it has permanently defaulted to 80Hz THX with "double bass" set to yes.

Changing it did not appear top be an option.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I can get the Sierras and sub working together or should I just remove the sub from the system.

Energy Take Classic Specifications:

Frequency Response: Sat: 115Hz-20KHz; Center: 110Hz-20KHz; Subwoofer: 33Hz-150Hz +/- 3dB

Crossover Point: 2.9 kHz

Sensitivity: 89dB

Power Handling: Sat & Center: 100 Watts; Subwoofer: 200 Watts

Recommended Amplifier Power: 20 - 100 Watts RMS (Continuous)

Impedance: 8-ohm compatible

Subwoofer Variable Low Pass Filter: 40Hz-150Hz @ 18dB/octave

Tweeter: ¾-inch (19 mm) Hyperbolic™ aluminum-dome

Woofer: Sat & Center: 3-inch poly-titanium; Sub: 8” IM Cone with Patented Ribbed Elliptical Surround

Thanks..alan
    Last edited by ahender; 12-22-2008 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Wold like to add specifications.

Default Re: Using Sierra-1s w/ "Small" Subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by ahender View Post
    Hi:

I am expecting my 2 Sierras to arrive sometime this week.

This past weekend I bought a set of Energy Take Classics at Circuit City for $180.

I know these may not be a perfect match but I could not resist the temptation to get the Classics at that price.

The cheapest I have seen them online is $499.
    TBH, I find it a little strange that you have the $$$ to justify Sierra's, yet want to fill in the the remaining gaps with a very budget-minded setup like Energy Take Classics. They're budget-minded even at retail. $499 for an entire 5.1 setup is maybe slightly above HTIB quality.

IMO, you didn't need one of the two things you bought - either the Sierra's or that Energy Take Classics. You spent either too much on the Sierra's or too little on your other speakers. There's no parity at all in those two purchase decisions, to say nothing of the lack of timbre matching.

Since the Energy set comes with a small subwoofer, I am trying to determine how to get it to work with the Sierras without lessening the overall sound quality of the Sierras.
    The best way you can minimize the sound damage to the Sierra's would be to set the Sierra's to large on your Onkyo 705. If you want to really lower the Sierra's sound quality though, choose "small" for the Sierra's and any crossover frequency when paired with that sub.

From what I have read, seems like 60Hz is the ideal crossover from the Sierras to a sub.
    I'd go with 80hz personally, going by what I read at AVS. Trusting the audio geeks at AVS, they have told me that music can extend an entire octave (or more) past the crossover and, if that's the case, that'd put sound coming from the Sierra below its -3 db point. And for those owning very high end subs, you're going to want to let it play the frequency range it shines at (usually below 80hz).

From what I've read about the quality of the Sierra's Bass, if your sub alone retails for less than $500, I'd go with "large" and no crossover. Certainly in your case, do not cross the Sierra's bass to that 8" "Circuit city" sub.

My receiver is an Onkyo 705 and right now it seems like it has permanently defaulted to 80Hz THX with "double bass" set to yes.

Changing it did not appear top be an option.
    I promise you there's a way to turn off double bass on an Onkyo 705. The way they rant and rave about this receiver at AVS, that simply would not happen if the user were forced to use an (almost always) incorrect setting.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I can get the Sierras and sub working together or should I just remove the sub from the system.

Thanks..alan
    I've probably already let the cat out of the bag. I'd ebay that entire HTIB speaker package you got at a killer deal, OR return the Sierra's. You spent too much or too little on one of those two things. Which was it?
    Last edited by azanon; 12-22-2008 at 09:58 AM.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Thanks for the lecture.

I guess I deserved it!

Before you totally discredit my purchase, the reviews for this "HTIB" are all excellent.

Do a search, you might learn something.

I am sure there are audiophiles that would love to trash that "cheap" Marantz 7002 you have.

Couldn't afford something better?

alan
    Last edited by ahender; 12-22-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Added Comment

Thanks for the lecture!

I guess I deserved it.

alan
    LOL. Believe it or not, I'm just trying to be helpful. Figured if i tell you now, maybe you could still return...... something.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Quote Originally Posted by azanon View Post
    TBH, I find it a little strange that you have the $$$ to justify Sierra's, yet want to fill in the the remaining gaps with a very budget-minded setup like Energy Take Classics. They're budget-minded even at retail. $499 for an entire 5.1 setup is maybe slightly above HTIB quality.

IMO, you didn't need one of the two things you bought - either the Sierra's or that Energy Take Classics. You spent either too much on the Sierra's or too little on your other speakers. There's no parity at all in those two purchase decisions, to say nothing of the lack of timbre matching.
    Ditto. This is a strange situation. I would be surprised if there would be anywhere near satisfactory timbre matching when you put them together. With the current Ascend sale prices, for less than the price of the Sierras and Energys combined, you can buy five HTM-200s plus a Hsu Research STF-2 subwoofer that would work much better. While the HTIB may have respectable performance, combining different brands of speakers into one system is generally not considered a good practice because of timbre matching.
    Last edited by ThomasC; 12-22-2008 at 11:40 AM.

The purpose of buying the Sierras was for music.

I will watch a movie in full surround probably 3 times a week.

I will listen to music everyday.

Does your suggestion apply to music, as well at HT?

alan

Yes, timbre matching applies to music as well as HT. If you just listen to two-channel music, then you're fine in that respect, but any surround material may not sound optimal.

The purpose of buying the Sierras was for music.

I will watch a movie in full surround probably 3 times a week.

I will listen to music everyday.

Does your suggestion apply to music, as well at HT?

alan
    Also, to each his own, but I have all kinds of fun with the various sound fields of these latest receivers. I personally like DPLII Music for music, especially for DD 5.1 concerts on D*. (my receiver can combine DD 5.1 with DPLII music). I also have several multi-channel music disks like DTS, DVD-A, and SACD. Point being putting priority on the overall 5.1 setup instead of just the 2 mains also considers music.

The real bargin Ascend speakers that are also awesome with music are the 170s. If i'm not mistaken, aren't they only like $20 more per pair than the HTM200s? 170s are what I recommended for you in that other thread.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Quote Originally Posted by azanon View Post
    Also, to each his own, but I have all kinds of fun with the various sound fields of these latest receivers. I personally like DPLII Music for music, especially for DD 5.1 concerts on D*. (my receiver can combine DD 5.1 with DPLII music). I also have several multi-channel music disks like DTS, DVD-A, and SACD. Point being putting priority on the overall 5.1 setup instead of just the 2 mains also considers music.

The real bargin Ascend speakers that are also awesome with music are the 170s. If i'm not mistaken, aren't they only like $20 more per pair than the HTM200s? 170s are what I recommended for you in that other thread.
    Good idea! Five 170s combined with the Hsu STF-2 would be about the same as what the Sierras and the HTIB cost (at current sale prices), and it would definitely be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
    Good idea! Five 170s combined with the Hsu STF-2 would be about the same as what the Sierras and the HTIB cost (at current sale prices), and it would definitely be a better choice.
    I think that is debatable. Five CBM-170SEs would be a great setup, but I think it really depends on how often you listen to two-channel music vs HT, and how much you value one experience over the other.
    -curtis