Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Announcement: A Sierra-1 add-on enhancement!

Default Re: Announcement: A Sierra-1 add-on enhancement!

Quote Originally Posted by ride525 View Post
    Ok Curtis, I'm a bit confused. You said the "port will not come into play very much when crossed at 80hz. But your center channel is crossed at 80hz, and "the use of Q plug "A" did make a noticeable improvement".
    Even though the port does not do much at that point, plug "A" did make an improvement.
    -curtis

I don't wish to put words in curtis's or davef's mouths, but Dave did mention that he noticed an improvement in imaging and soundstage when using Q-Plug B which he attributed to "the damping of spurious out-of-phase port noises that can cause subtle comb filtering".

I don't see any reason why similar effects shouldn't be expected from Q-Plug A, and might be responsible for the improvement that Curtis noticed when using it in his center-channel Sierra-1.

Hi, first post here. I am seriously considering replacing my current def tech CLR set up with Sierra's. Had a question about rear clearance.

Would 5" of clearance behind the Sierra's be enough to run them w/o plugs? I read that 12" was ideal. If plugs are recommended, which one(s) should I consider? I plan to run them with a sub but will experiment with 2.0 for music.

I didn't peruse each post in this thread but I did a cursory forum search for the answer to my question to no avail. Appologies if I missed it an am asking again.

jahjd2000,

The plugs come as a kit, with A plug and B plug. Looks like $12 for each speaker kit.

You might call Ascend and ask Dave about your need for plugs, and whether they might help.

can these q- plugs be used with the 340's & 170's

Quote Originally Posted by waynes View Post
    can these q- plugs be used with the 340's & 170's
    Nope. But call Ascend and they might have a solution for you.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by waynes View Post
    Was wondering what the new sierra nrt' will cost?
    Hi Waynes,

We have moved your posts into a new thread where it will get more exposure. This thread is dedicated to our Q-Plugs...

Here is the link to the new thread: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=4657
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Just looking for initial recommendations here.

I just ordered a set of Q-plugs. My Sierra's are on 30" stands approx. 18"-19" out from the wall, maybe 8'-9' apart. They are in my basement, which is finished with drywall/wainscotting, shag carpet and a 7' drop ceiling. The floor is concrete. It is an open space with only 1 close sidewall which has a patio sliding door. I have a 12" Rythmik sub in a custom built cabinet which is about 15"x15"x22"(?)long. I have it sitting on a box full of books maybe a foot off the floor at the most. The back of the sub(Along the 22" dimension) is about 4" from the wall. It sits just to the inside of the left speaker. Crossover set at 80Hz. No surround speakers, only 2.1 for music.

Ok, now to the question. I assume I will only need to try Q-plug "B" based on all of that information? As the B plug is said to reduce some punch yet extend the low end response of the Sierra, should I change the crossover setting to 60Hz? Any other recommendations to set up settings are welcome. I am just trying to squeeze all of the performance I can out of the system.

Thanks!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Hi Ed,

I experimented with both A and B plugs, and now run exclusively with type B.

My older Denon only supports a global crossover for all speakers, so I run a jerry-rigged "HT Bypass" setup. For normal 2-channel listening, I run the Sierras full-range. For HT or loud 2-channel material, I switch inputs and run the system (Sierra L/R and non-Ascend surrounds) with a 80Hz global crossover to keep the surrounds happy.

Overall, the B plugs work best for my listening room. When the Sierras are run full range, I noticed that type B reduces the mid-bass "boom" and improves sound quality in the lower octaves. Type B also integrates fairly well with my Rythmik F15 when the Sierras are crossed over at 80Hz, although the type A plugs do a slightly better job of seamless integration. Ultimately, I decided that since I run the Sierras full-range about 60% of the time, I wanted the performance benefits of the B plug.

My suggestion: try the B plug with 80Hz first, then try 60Hz. However, definitely give the A plugs a go with your current 80Hz crossover setting.
    -Jacob

Thanks for the advice, Jacob!

I should have them by Wednesday. I will definitely experiment with both A & B to get an idea of what each does to the sound. I have owned the Sierra-1's since they first came out in 2007, and did the NrT upgrade as soon as that was available, so I am very familiar with the sound. I've been thinking of trying the plugs ever since they came out.

Anyone else with experience to share? (Dave F.?)
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables