Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Announcement: A Sierra-1 add-on enhancement!

Default Re: Announcement: A Sierra-1 add-on enhancement!

Quote Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
    I have Sierra-1's L/C/R, on stands ~ 2 ft from a back wall (though the C sits on an equipment bench 2ft from the back wall), which are crossed with a sub (SVS PB10) at 70 to 80 Hz. I do have the plugs, but it's not clear to me if they really have much to offer since the sub takes the lower freqs. (Room is small/medium: 17' long, 14' wide, 8.3' high.)

Any suggestions for A, B, or none?
    To really make the best use of the plugs, in-room measurements would be recommended so that we can actually "see" the various changes the different plugs make.

If measurements aren't available or if you don't want to get into that, Curtis offered the best recommendations

Have fun!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    To really make the best use of the plugs, in-room measurements would be recommended so that we can actually "see" the various changes the different plugs make.

If measurements aren't available or if you don't want to get into that, Curtis offered the best recommendations

Have fun!
    Thanks, Dave. I have tentatively settled on the B plugs. Since the Sierra's are not enclosed or too near walls, I don't think the A's are called for. And your comments about the B's 'integrating well with a sub' convinced me to go that route. I use the Audyssey room eq system (MultEQ XT, of an Onkyo 805 AVR), and this seems to give a very nice result overall with the B plugs.

Problem is, my ear is probably not well enough 'educated' to discern one of these options from the other. So if not, I guess 'why worry'!

Thanks, Dave. I have tentatively settled on the B plugs. Since the Sierra's are not enclosed or too near walls, I don't think the A's are called for. And your comments about the B's 'integrating well with a sub' convinced me to go that route. I use the Audyssey room eq system (MultEQ XT, of an Onkyo 805 AVR), and this seems to give a very nice result overall with the B plugs.
    Based on the info you have provided regarding your setup, I would agree -- "B" plugs would be the best choice.

Enjoy!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Based on the info you have provided regarding your setup, I would agree -- "B" plugs would be the best choice.

Enjoy!
    Thanks for the feedback, Dave. Yes indeed, I am enjoying!

Thanks for the feedback, Dave. Yes indeed, I am enjoying!
    You are most welcome
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I am getting ready to wall mount my LCR Sierras. I run them with a Rythmik D15SE crossed over at 80Hz at my receiver. My question is, should I/will I need to use Q-plugs to preserve the Sierra's frequency response?

Thanks,
    Nick
    L/C/R Sierras
    Rythmik D15SE
    Onkyo 605
    PS3
    PT-AE3000 (coming soon)

Quote Originally Posted by nickmo View Post
    I am getting ready to wall mount my LCR Sierras. I run them with a Rythmik D15SE crossed over at 80Hz at my receiver. My question is, should I/will I need to use Q-plugs to preserve the Sierra's frequency response?
    The port will not come into play very much when crossed at 80hz. That said, my center channel on has about 7" of space behind it, and crossed at 80hz. The use of Q plug "A" did make a noticeable improvement.
    -curtis

I apologize if this sounds foolish... but does it matter which way I put in the A Plugs? Does the capped end go in first, on the outside, or does it even matter?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelG View Post
    I apologize if this sounds foolish... but does it matter which way I put in the A Plugs? Does the capped end go in first, on the outside, or does it even matter?
    The instructions that came with my plugs said the capped end of the A plugs go in first.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    The port will not come into play very much when crossed at 80hz. That said, my center channel on has about 7" of space behind it, and crossed at 80hz. The use of Q plug "A" did make a noticeable improvement.
    Ok Curtis, I'm a bit confused. You said the "port will not come into play very much when crossed at 80hz. But your center channel is crossed at 80hz, and "the use of Q plug "A" did make a noticeable improvement".