Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Announcement: A Sierra-1 add-on enhancement!

Default Re: Announcement: A Sierra-1 add-on enhancement!

Quote Originally Posted by kylem View Post
    I got mine for my center (thats in a BDI cabinet) a few days ago. After listening for a day or so I decided to check my levels again and noticed that I needed to bump up the level on my center just a hair. Did anyone else notice this or is that unusual?
    My center was further away from the listening area by about 1.5'. I didn't think much of it until I was having to run the center 2db hot (this was before the A Plugs). I had all the L/R/C all set to the same distance. I decided to adjust the speaker distance on the center to add the extra 1.5' and it made a noticeable difference. You might check the distance settings on the speakers first. What they did for me was to balance my system out and bring out the details that were lost with the in cabinet placement. Try tweaking things and you might be surprised what you will get out of them.

Yeah, I have played around with the distance settings quite a bit in the past. When I originally used my HK's EzSet/EQ it appeared to be a little off and I settled on using actual measurements with a tape measure. Once I bumped up the level of the center everything really sounds perfect now.

Quote Originally Posted by kylem View Post
    I got mine for my center (thats in a BDI cabinet) a few days ago. After listening for a day or so I decided to check my levels again and noticed that I needed to bump up the level on my center just a hair. Did anyone else notice this or is that unusual?
    Hi Kyle,

This is to be expected actually and basically means that plugs are working correctly for you. Since you have the center in a cabinet, it is more than likely that you have a bump in the response, typically somewhere in the 50-80Hz range. When you check levels with an SPL meter, it basically measures the average SPL over the entire frequency range being reproduced. By using the plugs and reducing the bump in the response, the average spl will measure lower.

Speaker sensitivity hasn't actually changed since sensitivity is typically calculated by using the output level of the midrange frequencies, of which the Q-Plugs will have no effect.

The benefit here is that the bump in the speaker's response has been reduced, the speaker will now measure flatter and setting center speaker levels will now be more accurate. Vocals should be more upfront, more prominent.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks Dave, your explanation confirms what my ears were telling me about the vocals. They are definitely more pronounced now.

Just wanted to add some more feedback to the thread - I got the plugs in about two weeks ago and have been putting them through the paces. I've got a pair of Sierras in a pretty small room and the Q-Plug A is definitely the winner for me. It clears up some mid-bass congestion and the sound is much more focused. Kudos to Dave F. for another great product!

Regards,
    Dave

I'm running mine with the A-plugs. If I had one slight crit of the Sierras was that the mids seemed slightly recessed and this could be because of the very strong mid-bass. The A plugs seemed to bring out the mids a little more.

But as with anything it all depends on the room, front end electronics and listening preferences. The plugs are definitely a nice option.
    Last edited by jk121764; 03-28-2009 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by omegacentrix View Post
    Kudos to Dave F. for another great product!

Regards,
    Dave
    I have my plugs being shipped to me, I will add some feedback when I have my HT build out finished, one q springs to mind though, I have some 170SE which I will be using for my rear's they will be wall mounted using an omnimount from Ascend, as they are rear ported too and will be close to the wall, anyone have thoughts on the requirement for a setup like this for a q plug too ?

Quote Originally Posted by fraseronly View Post
    I have my plugs being shipped to me, I will add some feedback when I have my HT build out finished, one q springs to mind though, I have some 170SE which I will be using for my rear's they will be wall mounted using an omnimount from Ascend, as they are rear ported too and will be close to the wall, anyone have thoughts on the requirement for a setup like this for a q plug too ?
    The Q plugs are designed/engineered for the Sierras.

Crossed at 80hz, and a few inches from the wall, the 170SE should be fine.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi Kyle,

This is to be expected actually and basically means that plugs are working correctly for you. Since you have the center in a cabinet, it is more than likely that you have a bump in the response, typically somewhere in the 50-80Hz range. When you check levels with an SPL meter, it basically measures the average SPL over the entire frequency range being reproduced. By using the plugs and reducing the bump in the response, the average spl will measure lower.

Speaker sensitivity hasn't actually changed since sensitivity is typically calculated by using the output level of the midrange frequencies, of which the Q-Plugs will have no effect.

The benefit here is that the bump in the speaker's response has been reduced, the speaker will now measure flatter and setting center speaker levels will now be more accurate. Vocals should be more upfront, more prominent.
    I have Sierra-1's L/C/R, on stands ~ 2 ft from a back wall (though the C sits on an equipment bench 2ft from the back wall), which are crossed with a sub (SVS PB10) at 70 to 80 Hz. I do have the plugs, but it's not clear to me if they really have much to offer since the sub takes the lower freqs. (Room is small/medium: 17' long, 14' wide, 8.3' high.)

Any suggestions for A, B, or none?

Quote Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
    I have Sierra-1's L/C/R, on stands ~ 2 ft from a back wall (though the C sits on an equipment bench 2ft from the back wall), which are crossed with a sub (SVS PB10) at 70 to 80 Hz. I do have the plugs, but it's not clear to me if they really have much to offer since the sub takes the lower freqs. (Room is small/medium: 17' long, 14' wide, 8.3' high.)

Any suggestions for A, B, or none?
    First, try the mains as large without a sub with some good music material, then with the "B" plugs, then with "A" plugs, and then at various crossover points to a sub with and without the plugs.
    -curtis