Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: A Sierra-1 add-on enhancement!

Default Re: Announcement: A Sierra-1 add-on enhancement!

Quote Originally Posted by gtoboss View Post
    Would it be better if your going to run the plugs in the center channel to go ahead and run the plugs in the mains as well. Or if your going to run the plugs in the surrounds will it be better to run the plugs in the mains and center also?
    It is fully dependent on the location of the speaker. If you want to use a Q-Plug in the left front, you should also use it in the right front. However, it is perfectly acceptable (and can be advisable depending on placement) to use a Q-Plug in the center and leave the left/rights as stock. If your rears are close to a wall, use them.

We purchased a large amount of these in order to bring the costs way down so that we can offer them to you for a very reasonable price. With that in mind, my plan was such that for a few extra dollars, you can experiment with them and determine what configuration sounds best to you. They are an inexpensive tweak (especially for audio ) that can make significant improvements in your in-room bass response.

In my home, I enjoy the Sierra-1 with Q-Plug B when I run them full range (no subwoofer).
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    Any idea if these would work on the 170/340's? Or even if you considered making an add-on for them?
    These won't fit into the CBM-170 port and are not properly "tuned" for the CMT-340 SE.

2. Would there still be a benefit run "small" and crossed at 60 or 80hz?

Thanks!
    Yes -- absolutely! Crossover setting in your receiver is independent of the Q-Plugs and should be first priority.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Please use this link to order: Sierra-1 Q-Plug Kit

Be sure to choose the number of speakers you want plugs for.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    not properly "tuned" for the CMT-340 SE.
    That makes sense If the 340's would benefit from a plug designed for them for people like me that have them mounted fairly close to a rear wall, I would LOVE for you to consider designing some

Thanks!
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

Thanks Dave, I've just ordered one for my center that's in a cabinet. Seems like a minor investment if it gives any benefit at all so I'll give it a shot.

That makes sense If the 340's would benefit from a plug designed for them for people like me that have them mounted fairly close to a rear wall, I would LOVE for you to consider designing some

Thanks!
    +1. I'd be curious to know more about how customized these are. You hear about people using socks to plug ports. It doesn't get much less custom than that.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveHo View Post
    Very cool. Much more interesting solution than I thought was coming. Not that I'm surprised!

Do the plugs have any effect on power handling or distortion levels in the affected frequency range?
    Using Q-plug B, power handling levels would be slightly increased (distortion would be reduced) from 34Hz - 70Hz compared to a stock Sierra-1.

Using Q-Plug A, power handling would be increased and distortion reduced below 44Hz compared to a stock Sierra-1.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
    Does the better integration of a sub with Plug A suggest that this might be a good choice for HT purposes (as opposed to primarily music)?
    There are just too many variables that affect this for me to provide a definitive answer to your question. Depending on various room acoustics and speaker placement, when used with a sub -- Q-Plug A (Aperiodic) can be beneficial for both music and movies. Much also depends on how well your subwoofer handles the 60Hz range and the low-pass filter slope. Ideally, you want the high-pass slope of you speaker to precisely match the low-pass slope of your subwoofer. Since both of the Q-Plugs change the natural bass roll-off the speakers, either can be beneficial. In your situation - Q-Plug A can offer a dramatic change while plug B would be more subtle.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Pair + Center kit (6 plugs in total, 3 of each) = $43.00, includes domestic shipping
    You mean "2 of each", right?

I don't know if these will improve the sound of my system, but I think that I'll give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Lawrence View Post
    You mean "2 of each", right?

I don't know if these will improve the sound of my system, but I think that I'll give them a try.
    No, he means "3 of each". 2 mains + 1 center, 2 plugs per speaker(1 "A" & 1 "B" plug each).

Gives you all the flexibility of mix-n-matching!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables