Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Announcement: A Sierra-1 add-on enhancement!

Default Re: Announcement: A Sierra-1 add-on enhancement!

Mag...as you know, every room has its own characteristics.

It doesn't take much to play around. I currently have the "B" plugs in all the Sierras, crossed over at 80hz. I couldn't hear a difference crossed at 60hz, so I went with the higher crossover.
    -curtis

Oh, I know it is no big deal to experiment with the different plugs, Curtis, just looking for any advice that will give me a head start and better understanding of what to expect. The real fun of this hobby is trying different things.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

The plugs are "Out for Delivery" according to the UPS tracking number!

I hope I have time this evening to "play"!!
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

OK, I got the Q-plugs yesterday and did a little experimenting.

First, I tried the "A" plugs. This basically acted like a low pass filter(If I am thinking correctly), and cut off the bass frequencies rather sharply. I can see how this would be advantageous for on-wall, near wall or inside cabinet installations. I did not leave the "A"s in very long. I sometimes like to listen in pure-direct which sends the Sierra's a full range signal with nothing to the sub.

Next went in the "B" plugs. Hmm. Not as punchy, or full, as no plug at all. But, with the sub playing and crossed over at 80Hz the sound seems to be very cohesive. Not that the sub ever seemed to not blend, but the sound seems to be more natural. Listening to some jazz streamed through Pandora, the horns were not "connected" to the speakers, but rather floated in a space somewhere between the L/R. On some bass heavy techno stuff the sound was very cohesive and punchy, or snappy. I cranked the volume up to -10 where as I usually go maybe to -15, but usually stay around -20. The sound kept its composure and seemed to want to go even louder, but I am only running a 100 watt/ch Marantz AVR so I did not want to push my luck.

I will have to spend more time playing, but initially it seems the results are positive.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

So have had enough time to fiddle with these and decide which I dig.

No plugs: midbass and bass is much more punchy, much more assertive transients

Plug A: sounds completely... tame? bass is still there, but it's muted slightly

Plug B: oh hey there... not quiiiiite as punchy as no plugs, but acceptable, and yeah... the imaging down there just got a little more interesting

Default Q-plug for center?

I'm wondering if I should use a Q-plug on my center Sierra-1. It's in an entertainment center on a shelf under the TV, but it's not completely enclosed on the sides or back so I'm not sure whether it'd benefit or not.

The back panel is about about 6.5" behind the speaker, but does not go all the way to the top. The bottom 5" of this shelf has a back, but the top 3" do not. There's 14.5" from the back pane to the wall behind. IOW, the speaker is in some sense both 6.5" away from a surface, and also 21" away. Also there's about 4.125" on each side of the speaker (total shelf is 22.5" wide), and it's angled up slightly such that there's no space above or below.

Does it seem like it would be worth trying a Q-plug in this case? Or is the port unrestricted enough in this situation?

Thanks for any advice,
    -- Dave

Default Re: Q-plug for center?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    I'm wondering if I should use a Q-plug on my center Sierra-1. It's in an entertainment center on a shelf under the TV, but it's not completely enclosed on the sides or back so I'm not sure whether it'd benefit or not.

The back panel is about about 6.5" behind the speaker, but does not go all the way to the top. The bottom 5" of this shelf has a back, but the top 3" do not. There's 14.5" from the back pane to the wall behind. IOW, the speaker is in some sense both 6.5" away from a surface, and also 21" away. Also there's about 4.125" on each side of the speaker (total shelf is 22.5" wide), and it's angled up slightly such that there's no space above or below.

Does it seem like it would be worth trying a Q-plug in this case? Or is the port unrestricted enough in this situation?
    Definitely worth trying.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Definitely worth trying.
    I agree, I have a similar setup and have one in my center.
    Speakers: Sierra-1 (across the front), HTM-200SE (surrounds), Epik Valor (subwoofer)
    AVR: Denon AVR-4311CI
    Display: Pioneer PDP-5080HD
    Source devices: TiVo Premiere (2TB), TiVo Premiere (stock), Pioneer BDP-51FD, Oppo DV-981HD
    Protection: APC H10

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Definitely worth trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by kylem View Post
    I agree, I have a similar setup and have one in my center.
    Thanks guys. I think I'll order them and experiment. Kylem, are you using the A or B plug in your situation?

Out of curiosity, I did some quick nearfield (12.5cm and 1m) measurements today, and this is the result. For the nearfield (125mm) I centered the mic on the woofer, which I assume explains the response >1KHz. For the 1m measurements I aimed the mic right between the woofer and tweeter, also on-axis. The room obviously has a big affect on the 1m measurements.

It looks like the center is getting some good re-enforcement between 50-150Hz relative to the left speaker. Dave's plots don't show an effect above 80/90Hz, though, so I'm not sure what'll happen in my situation. Of course some of what I see could be the result of minor mic placement differences too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Kylem, are you using the A or B plug in your situation?
    I'm using the A plug in mine.

It's been a while since I installed it but I believe I tried both for a bit and ended up sticking with the A which is what I believe Dave recommended in a setup such as ours. If I were you, I'd try both for a few days and see which is the more pleasing to your ears.
    Speakers: Sierra-1 (across the front), HTM-200SE (surrounds), Epik Valor (subwoofer)
    AVR: Denon AVR-4311CI
    Display: Pioneer PDP-5080HD
    Source devices: TiVo Premiere (2TB), TiVo Premiere (stock), Pioneer BDP-51FD, Oppo DV-981HD
    Protection: APC H10