Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: New fight against cancer charity raffle!

Default Re: New fight against cancer charity raffle!

In for two.

Welcome aboard rsa!

oomph, in an ironic twist of fates: my dad has recently been diagnosed with brain cancer. funny enough I have done relay for life and kayuba kayak for cancer for no good reason other than to support.

ps: I'll try to keep spreading the word about this raffle, before the news I actually posted info about ascend acoustic's raffle on my facebook and mentioned it to a few people, now I may be more prone siding on brain cancer research...
    JK, I'll keep getting the word out! gotta laugh at these tough times; all cancer sucks, doesn't it?! and any research is great research, in my books!
    anyways, just thought I'd share, I haven't frequented the forums in a bit, sadly!

Quote Originally Posted by scape View Post
    oomph, in an ironic twist of fates: my dad has recently been diagnosed with brain cancer. funny enough I have done relay for life and kayuba kayak for cancer for no good reason other than to support.
    Scape -- I am terribly sorry to hear this! Your father is in my prayers.

It seems as if I hear about a new cancer diagnosis on a daily basis these days.

Please, if there is anything I can do or if you just want to talk... I am here and don't hesitate to call or email.

Wishing your father a speedy and complete recovery!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dear Friends,

I am a physician at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center who had the great privilege to participate in the care of David Fabrikant’s father, Mr. Michael Fabrikant, in his brave battle against oral cancer. Michael lost that battle in November of 2008 with his loving and endlessly supportive wife and family at his side. Reading David’s poignant account of his father’s and family’s experience, posted here on 12/17/08, will give you an idea of the devastating toll that this disease takes on our loved ones.

David has taken a remarkable initiative by raising funds to support research for oral cancer. As one of the potential recipients of research funding raised by the Ascend Acoustics Community for this important cause, I would like to take a moment to briefly describe our work. My laboratory at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center studies how genetically engineered viruses may be applied as a therapy for oral cancer and other cancers as well. We are currently examining a variety of engineered viruses including herpes simplex type 1, vaccinia virus, and Newcastle disease virus. We have found that these viruses have an ability to selectively infect, replicate within, and destroy cancer cell targets while preserving normal tissues in animal tumor models. Our research investigating the mechanisms underlying how this occurs may potentially lead to even more effective therapies than might someday be applied for our patients. Our work has been funded by grants from the National Institutes of Health, the American College of Surgeons, the American Society of Clinical Oncology, and the American Head and Neck Society. Every bit of support is essential towards making progress. David’s laudable efforts in raising more support through Ascend Acoustics will help, in the future, to bring these novel agents to clinical application in our patients suffering with oral cancer.

Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

Richard Wong, MD
    Head and Neck Service
    Department of Surgery
    Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center

Thank you, Dr. Wong, for posting.

Thank you Dave for your kind words; I find it all too coincidental to be so active in cancer-fundraising even before knowing that my own father has been diagnosed (crazily enough, possibly the most rare brain cancer!); albeit interestingly enough, my extended family and friends are no stranger to other cancers (lung, breast, leukemia) and it is an absolute terrible thing for anyone to endure, and for their loved ones to battle with at their side; it totally belittles me how everpresent and persistent cancer really is. I am really appreciative of your wholehearted efforts to help raise money for research, as I firmly believe any and all cancer research is wonderful and well-worth it, in my eyes. Thanks again, I will continue to pass on the word for this raffle, and expect an email soon enough ;D

Dr. Wong,

Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule. I know you have far more important things to deal with day in and day out -- so the fact that you gave us some of your time means a lot me.

Thank You -- and you will be hearing from me again soon.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

What's the current status on # of tickets left?

Quote Originally Posted by pj- View Post
    What's the current status on # of tickets left?
    I am sorry to say far too many

As of today (09/14) there are 120 tickets left for this raffle. I would like to close this out so would anyone be against adjusting the prizes to represent what was collected and pick the winner in the next few days?

The remaining products that I have set aside for this raffle will be used for another charity event next year (for the same cause)

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any input!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com