Thread: Placing Sierras in a Wall Unit -- Bad Idea?

Default Placing Sierras in a Wall Unit -- Bad Idea?

Hi:

I know there is optimal placement when it comes to speakers.

My home theater setup is in a fairly small living room which means that a lot more than HT stuff will have to be accommodated.

Question:

How much sound quality is lost if I place the Sierras in a wall unit?

What I was thinking was placing them on sliding trays so that I could move them out from the wall about 16-20" from the back of the unit when necessary (maybe a little more depending on the final wall unit design).

Is this a completely goofy idea?

thanks...alan

Default Re: Placing Sierras in a Wall Unit -- Bad Idea?

I have mine in a wooden wall closet ( bedroom wall ) than is about 18" deep and 10 feet wide with the doors removed obviously. They still have decent seperation, there is a center speaker in the middle, they are sitting on shelves mounted to the back wall at ear listening level and only sit about 6" from back wall. Front of speakers are within 4 or 5" of front plane
    of closet. Not exactly the same as a wall unit as it does have 2 sides and a back that are closed in......but they sound fine. Could they be more optimally placed ? Probably, but it fits the situation and they sound great to me. The slide out shelf deal would be fine but I don't think they would need that much rear clearance. I think the separation from side to side would be what would be lacking most. Unless they are only 4 ft. apart or something I would guess they would sound fine, just not optimally placed.