Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rythmik D-15 first impressions

Default Re: Rythmik D-15 first impressions

So you want me to try running the front L&R signals full range thru the plate amp and compare to see if I notice whether or not the plate amp colors the sound in any way, correct?

Sorry to summarize, I just want to be clear.

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    So you want me to try running the front L&R signals full range thru the plate amp and compare to see if I notice whether or not the plate amp colors the sound in any way, correct?

Sorry to summarize, I just want to be clear.

Brandon
    Correct. Literally, you compare two things in music mode.
    1) One is front speaker full range. Two RCA cables from preamp outputs to plate amps. On the plate amp, set the xover at around 60hz and select 80hz/24 switch. Set the phase around 12 o'clock position. This is based on my educated guess. In this mode, you can literally turn off sub and compare the effect of adding a sub.

2) The second is front speaker filtered with the HP filter via plate amp line level outputs. In this case, you want to again select 80hz/24, and set the xover at 80hz and different from the above case, you need to keep phase adjustment low at 9 o'clock position.

-Brian

Brian,

Gotcha.

I will try that tomorrow hopefully and report back and we can proceed from there.

Thanks,
    Brandon

Juts a suggestion, based on your pics - If you lower your center to below your TV, the soundstage will improve, as the height difference between it and your mains will be lesser.

Robruffo,

That option is ideal but unfortunately not possible. My stand is not large enough for that. Someday when I get my plasma tv, I can place the center on the stand again

Am I the only one who thinks it is odd to place bookshelf speakers on stands. It seems to me that one would just go with a quality floorstanding speaker. I love my Sierras, but probably would have opted for floorstanders if not limited to space constraints. Oh well, just my opinion.
    Jim

Brian,

I played with the configurations you suggested and the results were good. I was able to integrate the sub with my 2ch preamp. I am little leary that I might of heard some "effects" along the signals path thru the plate amp. Another option I thought of was to use the preamp / amp as usual and level match the receiver just to output the LFE signal to the sub. This way I maintain a short signal path for 2ch listening and can integrate the sub too.

How i did it was to level match the preamp to the yamaha at different volume levels. I recorded the data(maybe about 6 volume levels that I typically listen at). So now when I want to listen in 2.1 with the Rythmik & preamp only, I turn the preamp to my desired volume, and look at the chart I created and match the volume on the yamaha for the LFE signal. Sounds like a pain, but I usually just set the volume at one level and walk away anyway.

I appreciate your efforts in steering my in the right direction. I was just afraid that running my 2ch signal through a plate amp would degrade the sound plus I had to move the sub closer to the stand for extra wiring and things looked worse there anyway.

So now I have two options when listening through my preamp, one with just the sierras(full range) and the other with the yamaha feeding the sub the LFE signal(volume matched).

Hope this all made sense

One more thing,

Should I set my receivers sub crossover at 60hz or 80hz. And here is the subs plotted response at my listening position.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=3...db6fb9a8902bda

From my understanding, one should not use any EQing to raise dips, so any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Should I set my receivers sub crossover at 60hz or 80hz.
    What ever sounds best to you.
    -curtis

An update after finally dialing in my recently purchased Behringer FD and the Rythmik 15".

I have spent the last few weeks learning how to properly use REW, my mic, and the Behringer FD to EQ my sub. The results were surprising. The first few pics in this thread show my sub to the right of the TV. After taking more accurate measurements with my mic, soundcard, and REW I found that spot to be bad for a flat room response. I since have moved the sub to the right of the TV in between the sierra and the TV. Immediately the room response was flatter and I had only one small dip and several peaks which are better to EQ out.

I have played around and took probably 100 different measurements in the last few weeks trying different crossover settings, house curves, and etc. I finally settled on a more flat respone versus the house curve many use. I didnt feel the need for a boosted low end. Plus, my room naturally had a good response below 30hz so If anything i could have lowered it with the BFD but chose not to. I ended up crossing over the sierras at 80hz rather than me previous setting of 60hz. The reason for this was to allow me more of a frequency range to adjust with the BFD and I was able to produce a flatter response from 20hz all the way to 80hz.

After many listening sessions and finding the right gain on the sub, i am finally extremely pleased with the Rythmiks integration with my sierras. The sub blends so well and music sounds like its all coming from the mains and not a sub & speakers. The Rythmik compliments the sierras so well that I have another component coming to try out. My current proceed pre amp does not have a sub input so I ordered a parasound 2100 that has both HT bypass and the sub input/output with built in corssovers for both the mains & sub. This will allow me to better integrate my sub into both the HT system and my 2ch setup.

I also splurged on a great deal on the slim devices Transporter to replace my squeezebox 3. I have always wanted to try a seperate DAC and the Transporters has received rave reviews! It will stream my lossless FLAC files and I can run my oppo 980 through it too!

Heres a better more accurate plot of my Rythmiks room response from about 20hz-200hz from REW software no smoothing.

Last edited by merrymaid520; 01-19-2009 at 03:32 PM.