Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rythmik D-15 first impressions

Default Rythmik D-15 first impressions

I posted this over on avs,

I have been listening to the Rythmik for about an 1hr or so after level matching it.
    I will use Tim's spreadsheet & measurement technique later this week after I enjoy it as is for a bit.
    First off, the sub came packaged well, wrapped in a nice cheese cloth type sheet to protect the very impecable piano black finish. After calibrating I played some Multi CH SACD & DVD-A's on it. First up, Brothers in arms on SACD in 5.1. The first 3 songs sounded simply breathtaking. Very clean, chest pounding bass. Soon after my wall clock flew off the wall(was above the TV) The money for nothing track had amazingly tight bass that didn't float around after each note compared to my previous SVS.
    Next was the track Brandon & PAtrick remember off the rob Thomas DVD-A (all that I am). That low bass drop at the beginning was intense! It went very low and shook the room. It was a note that can be felt more than heard, if that makes sense. In my opinion I had already determined the Rythmik reaches lower than the SVS. Next was output tests. I cranked some Eagles tunes and my DVD-A quad mix of DSOTM, the time & money tracks were awesome too!

For movies I demoed some Blu-ray discks such as Black Hawk down and later on tonight Underworld Evolution. During BHD, the Rythmik had more than enough output at its current 14hz high damping setting(for cleanest output). After my brief session so far, it has plenty of output(maybe even more than the SVS) and reaches lower at the same time while sounding cleaner(less decay---if thats the term). I cant get much more scientific considering I can't directly compare the SVS and Rythmik since the SVS sold a couple weeks back.

Some teaser shot for all..........

I will continue to evaluate and calibrate as I have more time.

So far very happy though

Great work Dave & Brian!

Brandon

Default Re: Rythmik D-15 first impressions

With the crossover setting on the sub, what setting based on my setup is ideal? I was thinking around 60-80hz?

My current sierras are set to small now.

Which SVS did you have? Was it in the same place as the Rhythmik?

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    With the crossover setting on the sub, what setting based on my setup is ideal? I was thinking around 60-80hz?

My current sierras are set to small now.
    If you are using the crossover on your receiver....which is what I am assuming since the speakers are set to small, then turn the crossover on the sub to its highest setting...essentially taking it out of the picture since it is not needed.
    -curtis

Thanks Curtis!

I will.

Mike,

I had the SVS PC Ultra 12" cylinder sub. Yes, it was in the same location.

Curtis,

One more question in terms of phase adjustment. I read from Brian on a post in here that one should add about 4 ft to the distance setting on the reciever for ported speakers(sierras) compared to the fronts. I did that but what do I adjust the phase setting to on the sub itself?

Thanks.

Curtis,

One more question in terms of phase adjustment. I read from Brian on a post in here that one should add about 4 ft to the distance setting on the reciever for ported speakers(sierras) compared to the fronts. I did that but what do I adjust the phase setting to on the sub itself?

Thanks.
    Since its farfield I would say start with 0. I think you will end up leaving it at 0 in your set up.
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

Thanks Gov,

I played with it a bit and the "0" setting sounds good and when switched all the way to 180, I lose tons of sound from it. So 0 should be fine unless anyone has another thought.

Yeah...do what sounds good. I'm still not clear on phase integration with ported vs sealed, especially since when setting the speakers to small and crossing at 60-80hz, the port really does not come into play.
    -curtis

Thanks Gov,

I played with it a bit and the "0" setting sounds good and when switched all the way to 180, I lose tons of sound from it. So 0 should be fine unless anyone has another thought.
    Since you already did the delay time adjustment on the HT receiver, nothing needs to be done on this phase adjustment. Phase adjustment on the plate amp is for cases where delay time adjustment is not available (for instance, those who uses 2 channel receiver). From your report, you most likely have the correct phase adjustment as 180 phase inversion lost a lot of bass.

I haven't replied to the first question about first order RC because I really prefer you to try 1) run front full range and direct LFE to front speakers, and 2) use the RCA output (HP filtered) for your front speakers and direct LFE to front speakers. If you compare the two in music mode and you cannot hear much difference after optimal adjustment, I will simply recommend configuration 2) without even consider RC filter. If you do hear the sound difference and prefer the sound characteristic in 1), then we can consider RC filter.

-Brian