Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sierra-1 center channel with 170s left/right?

Default Re: Sierra-1 center channel with 170s left/right?

On the movies vs. music:

I've always been confused by this contrast to at least some extent because some of the most beautiful music tracks Ive heard have been on movies. With the new blu-rays, I've heard tracks that will almost make you cry because they're so awesome. Some of the best ones are often at the end of the movie during the credits. Though I don't personally buy them anymore, I completely get people who buy movie soundtracks because some are so well done.

Anyway, with blu-ray now, there are some GREAT sounding movies with wonderful music!
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Quote Originally Posted by azanon View Post
    On the movies vs. music:

I've always been confused by this contrast to at least some extent because some of the most beautiful music tracks Ive heard have been on movies.
    I used to think the question was about listening source, but I think those who ask are hoping to help with the decision of allocation of limited resources.

I have not heard Sierras. Some feel they are better suited to music than 170's or 340's. Some say 340's can handle dynamics (read really loud passages) better than Sierras.

Assuming that is true for the sake of argument, I might suggest someone who has expressed a 70/30 music to movie ratio buy L/R Sierras and use a phantom center channel with the intent to upgrade later. If the ratio is reversed, I'd suggest 340's L/C/R.

FWIW, I find my 340's very musical. They are by far the best sounding speakers in the house. Not only do music CDs/SACDs sound great but also movie soundtracks, especially Blu Ray. We just watched MirrorMask and the soundtrack, along with the rest of the movie, was stunning.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
    I used to think the question was about listening source, but I think those who ask are hoping to help with the decision of allocation of limited resources.
    I guess I'm just saying if I was asked this question now (primarily music or music), I'd probably answer, "Yes".

I bet people would be absolutely stunned how much a movie would change if you removed all of the music and only had dialog.

Again, I think most people who are still thinking of music in movies as being a lower form or quality of music are simply not into the latest HD audio formats that you find on most blu-ray movies. Given the extreme bitrates of PCM 5.1/DTHD, DTS HD master, any imperfections that you're going to hear are going to be either in the recording..... or in the Sierra's.

If I could only pick one disk now to demo my speakers, I don't know exactly which it'd be... but I can tell you the type.... It'd be a blu-ray.

Anyway, my short answer to "limited resources", is anything but Sierra's unless all you ever will want is a stereo set-up.
    Last edited by azanon; 12-09-2008 at 07:47 AM.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player