Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra-1 Perfomance Advantage vs CMT-340

Default Sierra-1 Perfomance Advantage vs CMT-340

Hi:

I have read numerous threads but have not found the information I need.

I plan to have a 5.1 system in a room of about 3,500 cu. ft.

The Sierra-1 cost about 50% more than the CMT-340.

Does it sound more than 50% better?

My preference will be 60% music and 40% HT.

For music I like low volume listening.

Is either one a better option?

Thanks...Alan

Default Re: Sierra-1 Perfomance Advantage vs CMT-340

for low volume listening I think you may want to just stick with the 340s. I think there is a significant improvement to the Sierras. I hate to quantify it as a 50% improvement or any other % because I just don't think that's possible. Speakers are very subjective. Nonetheless, if you aren't going to be listening that critically (my guess if you are listening at low volumes) the 340s are great speakers. There is no right answer, though.

Your room is fairly large, as is mine. I have 340's and have pondered many times about upgrading to Sierras. I decided to keep my 340's because I sometimes play at spirited levels especially movies. Instead, I am upgrading my subwoofer .
    Since you like to listen at lower levels and music is higher on your list, Sierras may be the better fit.
    Either way its a "win win" situation
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

Since you listen to more music I would go with the Sierra's. I listen to plenty of music and changed from the 340SE to the Sierra's and think it was well worth the price difference. I listen to music in 2 channel full range and love the way the Sierra's sound with fantastic detail. Volumn won't be a problem because once you hear these speakers you will just naturally increase the volumn.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    Volumn won't be a problem because once you hear these speakers you will just naturally increase the volumn.
    I use this same logic as well, and assume there's nothing wrong with it.

To give actual numbers, when I'm really listening to music very loud (lets say 90-95 db as measured by my SPL meter), my receiver is usually set to about -16 db. Though I've never confirmed it yet on the Marantz, I assume max volume is when it reads an even -0- db. So the way I see it, if Sierra's would only have me going to -10 db or so, then it has enough juice.

I assume both Sierra's and my (expensive) Marantz can take whatever volume I set it on, including and up to max. I pay a lot for this equipment presumably so I don't have to worry about this sort of thing.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Quote Originally Posted by ahender View Post
    Does it sound more than 50% better?
    Speakers sounding 50% better would be a HUGE upgrade! Often what you'll see with audiophiles is that they'll spend thousands of dollars for a very small improvement... Diminishing return they call it.

340SE vs Sierra-1, the overall improvement is not that small, and for $350, there's a definite improvement in sound quality. So yeah, if you have the funds, definitely worth spending the extra. For music, especially.

The downside to Sierra, is that they'll require a bigger amp than the 340SE, and they won't play as loud... Do you usually blast your speakers like a madman? Maybe check with Ascend for room size and volume you'd like to achieve... (I have Sierras, never had any volume issue, 260w amp in a room 1/2 your size though...)

for low volume listening I think you may want to just stick with the 340s.
    I'd disagree with that though. The Sierras are better than the 340SE even for low volume listening. But as said, no one listens to music at low volume... To me low volume would be about the same volume as you speak, or not to wake up someone sleeping in another room... You just can't listen like that to speakers like Sierras Well ok, maybe if you listen to country, or Yawni, or this finnish music video... Then yeah, ok, low volume is absolutely great, but for everything else, there's... teh cranked it up volume setting

Ultimately, the 340's will play louder, but the Sierras can still drive you out of the room.

I have found that often I just keep turning up the volume with the Sierras....never losing composure in my room. I do have 500wpc though.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    I'd disagree with that though. The Sierras are better than the 340SE even for low volume listening. But as said, no one listens to music at low volume... To me low volume would be about the same volume as you speak, or not to wake up someone sleeping in another room... You just can't listen like that to speakers like Sierras Well ok, maybe if you listen to country, or Yawni, or this finnish music video... Then yeah, ok, low volume is absolutely great, but for everything else, there's... teh cranked it up volume setting
    that's sort of my point. at fairly low volumes, neither speaker is going to really shine (imho). You have to turn it up a little bit to really get everything out of the speaker. my feeling was if someone isn't going to really listen critically, save the couple of hundred dollars. it depends what is meant by low volume listening and music listening. If it's just background music and money is an issue, go with the cheaper speaker (heck, even the 170s would work).

My definition of low volume is volume low enough that two people can have a conversation and still listen to the music.

No shouting required.

alan

Quote Originally Posted by ahender View Post
    My definition of low volume is volume low enough that two people can have a conversation and still listen to the music.

No shouting required.

alan
    i use 170's for my listening, my audio "bubble" is about 12x10sh, wider and no backwall at seating. it sounds great at most volumes. the downside, i want more out of them usually. if you want simple low-volume listening, 170's can even suffice, if you want home theatre, they tend to lack a bit in the oomph. my 340 can keep up in home theatre and sounds great in music. i'd have to say the 340 is a great middle road for most people with a budget. but with all points in purpose, the sierra is simply an amazingly built speaker set and would probably offer the best music reproduction, even at lower volumes.

i do have to agree with ebh, to really hear a recording you should turn it up, much closer to the actual volume it was presumably recorded at (assuming it's a great recording), then you're music will shine and your movies will sound much more realistic. for low volumes I'm sure most speakers are 'ok', but then you don't have the freedom to turn it up to a respectable volume without distortion, nor will it be as clean and clear at lower volumes.