Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Why no Hsu?

Default Re: Why no Hsu?

Have fun Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    After a busy week, and lots of food yesterday, the kids and I sat down and watched "The Incredible Hulk". It was fun, but as our dog is getting older, she dislikes the 2 hours of "loudness".
    Are you into Blu-ray, and the blu-ray sound formats?

All i can say is wow, a million times for PCM 5.1/7.1, DTS HD Master, and Dolby True HD audio. I get those using a PS3 and my Marantz 7002. The difference to me is major - so much so that I think its the more impressive thing going for blu-ray than the HD video (vs. upconverted 480i).

I'm wondering if some musicians are going to start using some of the high-def audio formats now, in lieu of DVD-A or SACD, ..... or is it just not appropriate for that?

DTS Master and DTHD on a PS3?

I thought PS3 could only do LPCM?

Quote Originally Posted by muzz View Post
    DTS Master and DTHD on a PS3?

I thought PS3 could only do LPCM?
    Originally it could only decode LPCM and DTHD (and DD+). They updated the firmware a few months back and now it decodes DTS HD master too. With BD profile 2.0 support, 7.1 speaker support, fast loading times, and modest price, its arguably one of the best blu-ray players out there.

The fact that it plays games too is just a bonus from my perspective

I just Bitstream all through my LG BH-200 combo player.
    Or use lpcm on titles that require it (pass-through)

VG player IMHO, very under rated.

Sorry for the Hijack....please continue!!

I just Bitstream all through my LG BH-200 combo player.
    Or use lpcm on titles that require it (pass-through)
    That's what the PS3 can't do. It can't bitstream any of the HD audio formats.

I don't worry about that though because they say there's no audible difference between the player decoding vs. the receiver. What I miss though is the vanity aspect of getting to see my Marantz say "DTS HD Master" on the display.

Supposedly certain blu-ray menus or certain add-on features don't function correctly when bitstreaming though? I don't recall the specifics on that, but it can be an issue on certain disks.

Another nod against bitstreaming - at least on my receiver. If i want to use Audyssey, Audyssey doesn't work on any bitstreamed HD audio, but it works fine on any HD audio passed via PCM already decoded.

Sorry for the Hijack....please continue!!
    Was lenjack's original question answered? I believe it was a brief question. I thought it was but maybe I was wrong. Sorry Lenjack if it wasn't.

BTW - adidino at AVS maintain's an awesome, updated Blu-ray player chart. It's very helpful:

link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1050507

Read that many times, that's why I got the BH-200, since I have a Denon 988 (2808 for what it's worth, used as a Pre/pro to an A7200 amp).

Glancing at that chart, looks like that latest Panasonic BD55 or Sony S550 is the thing to get now. Both are relatively affordable, and are fully compliant with everything (on that chart, anyways).