Thread: Why no Hsu?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Why no Hsu?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Again, I never suggested (nor would I) to use the 340 (or any loudspeaker) as large when used together WITH a subwoofer. The balance compromise you mentioned occurs when both the speakers and the subwoofer are playing the same frequency range. This occurs when using a subwoofer and setting the speakers to large. Your above statement suggests that I am in favor of this balance compromise, and as I mentioned -- my design philosophy for the past 26 years has always been for accurate frequency response and accurate phase.
    We're still getting lost in semantics.

I'm not saying you ever said or suggested for a main and sub to be set to play the same frequency range of music at the same time. Call that whatever you want.

When I hear someone suggest use "large" setting for a speaker, I assume someone is saying to set the receiver to have the sub cut off for all frequency ranges for speakers set to "large" unless they say otherwise. To me, running a speaker with "large" setting means setting it, and it alone, to play the full spectrum of sound and for the sub to play nothing for that channel, regardless whether you have a sub or not.

Entirely dependent on the receiver. In my experience, setting speakers to large simply sends the full range signal to the speaker, this is entirely independent of what low frequency information is sent to the subwoofer (sub still receives low frequency information)
    I’ve owned 3 receivers so far, one of them being a H/K in the same line you sell. All three behave as I describe. “large” sends the full range to the main, and the sub default setting is to play none of the material for every speaker that’s set to large.

In other words, on your receiver -- if you set a specific speaker to large, no signal from that particular channel is sent to the subwoofer? I don't believe this to be the case, but if it is, then no signal to the subwoofer equals no subwoofer in use which is equivalent of not having a subwoofer.
    This is exactly correct. Lets give an easy example here. If you have your Sierra-1's set to "large" on your receiver right now, and you play a CD in stereo, and output it in stereo, and you do have a sub, then your sub will not play at all. Even if you put a hip-hop CD in there. Yes, in this example, it would be like you don't have a sub even though you do.

The sub plays, in short: 1. All content below the crossover for every speaker set to small and 2. The LFE channel for content with an LFE channel. 3. Nothing else

Again, yes, most all receivers HAVE a setting where you can tell the sub to play everything regardless of the large vs. small setting on individual speakers, but as you've already said and I agree with, that's always a poor choice and anyone using that choice is going to have messed up/duplicated sound in the lower frequencies.

I think you might be assuming that if you set your speakers to large, then the receiver sends a full range signal to the speakers and because the speakers can only play down to a certain frequency, that the subwoofer will play only those frequencies that your speakers are not capable of reproducing. This is not how it works -- your receiver does not know what the capabilities of your speakers or subwoofer is.p
    I never said that and definitely disagree with that. If you're not saying that either, then lets drop that one.

When set to large, the receiver does not control the integration between speakers and sub.
    Exactly, because with large, the receiver simply sends the entirety of the music content to the mains.... for that channel. The sub gets nothing from that channel (again, unless you have the "speaker + sub" setting enabled for the sub)

Yes, I prefer the Sierra-1's on large but that is with no subwoofer, of which I have referenced in dozens of posts.

I apologize if you have drawn the wrong conclusions from both mine and others posts.

NO subwoofer = set speakers to large
    With subwoofer = set speakers to small, use an 80 or 60Hz crossover point.
    Large means no subwoofer. Lets be clear here, I haven't drawn any wrong conclusions. When you say run a speaker large, - to audio hobbyists they are going to presume you're essentially saying to run them full range. That's interchangeable because, again, almost no one uses the "sub+speaker" setting on their receiver because most audiophiles aren't going to want to have their bass duplicated.
    Last edited by azanon; 11-26-2008 at 06:16 PM.