Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why no Hsu?

Default Why no Hsu?

I haven't seen this discussed and I know you just introduced the Rythmik line of subs. I'm just wondering why you no longer promoted the Hsu line.

Default Re: Why no Hsu?

hsu no longer sells their subs through other companies. you can only buy their subs directly from hsu themselves. i think this was the major, if not only, reason ascend stopped selling hsu subwoofers.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

It was my impression too that Rythmik's focus on sound clarity over output is more consistent with the Ascend philosophy than HSU's approach. Those in the know feel free to correct me on this, if this is wrong.

I've stated a few places now I was not personally impressed with the bass clarity of the VTF-2 I used to own.

Quote Originally Posted by azanon View Post
    It was my impression too that Rythmik's focus on sound clarity over output is more consistent with the Ascend philosophy than HSU's approach. Those in the know feel free to correct me on this, if this is wrong.

I've stated a few places now I was not personally impressed with the bass clarity of the VTF-2 I used to own.
    Hsu and Rythmik certainly have a different approach to subwoofer design, but both companies have sound quality as their priority.

I only heard the original VTF-2 at a friend's, and it sounded fine to me.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Hsu and Rythmik certainly have a different approach to subwoofer design, but both companies have sound quality as their priority.

I only heard the original VTF-2 at a friend's, and it sounded fine to me.
    So you would say the Rythmik doesn't offer an improvement in clarity?

Who knows.... maybe mine was broke from the start? I doubt it, but its certainly a possible explanation for mine not sounding that great to me. All I know is that as a former VTF-2 owner, I completely understood the many Ascend owners who were going "large" on their non-full range Ascends. If all I could use was a VTF-2, my 340SE's would be set on "large" too.

David himself is fond of saying there's no boom in his sound. With a VTF-2, I completely understand that statement.
    Last edited by azanon; 11-26-2008 at 08:34 AM.

No boom means flat, non-bloated bass. My Rythmik gives me very articulate, tight and deep bass. If "boom" is what you desire, go for a ported sub. My 1st sub was ported, and it would boom at times. I enjoyed that with certain movies, but it grew tiresome with music.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    No boom means flat, non-bloated bass. My Rythmik gives me very articulate, tight and deep bass. If "boom" is what you desire, go for a ported sub. My 1st sub was ported, and it would boom at times. I enjoyed that with certain movies, but it grew tiresome with music.
    Provided what you say is true (I don't know at all, mostly a novice), then that would explain my VTF-2 experience. My VTF-2 had not only one port, but 2. My (now) SB12+ has no ports. Articulate, tight and deep are exactly the thoughts that came to mind the first time I heard it. I assumed up until that point that subs weren't supposed to sound clear and tight.

So you would say the Rythmik doesn't offer an improvement in clarity?

Who knows.... maybe mine was broke from the start? I doubt it, but its certainly a possible explanation for mine not sounding that great to me. All I know is that as a former VTF-2 owner, I completely understood the many Ascend owners who were going "large" on their non-full range Ascends. If all I could use was a VTF-2, my 340SE's would be set on "large" too.

David himself is fond of saying there's no boom in his sound. With a VTF-2, I completely understand that statement.
    It absolutely offers an improvement.

Many Ascend owners going "large" with a Hsu sub? I did not see evidence of that.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    It absolutely offers an improvement.
    If its at least on parity with the sub I have.... of course it does.

Many Ascend owners going "large" with a Hsu sub? I did not see evidence of that.
    Wish I had time to link you several threads that would show evidence of this, including one from David F. himself. David started supported the "large" setting as early as the 340 classic, supported it more with the 340SE, and outright suggets it with the Sierra-1. He used to sell HSU subs, so when HSU wasn't specifically mentioned, I assume it applies.

If Rythmik are as musical as they are being claimed to be, I fully expect the "small" setting recommendation to start happening again, including for the Sierra-1 now that the HSU's are out of the picture. Since I brought it up, lets here the opinion?; Large or Small, if you own a pair of Sierra-1's and a Rythmik?

Sierra-1 would have to be better than even I imagine it to be before I'd go "small" with my SB12+ and, make no mistake, I can't wait to buy Sierra's.
    Last edited by azanon; 11-26-2008 at 11:17 AM.

Wish I had time to link you several threads that would show evidence of this, including one from David F. himself. David started supported the "large" setting as early as the 340 classic, supported it more with the 340SE, and outright suggets it with the Sierra-1. He used to sell HSU subs, so when HSU wasn't specifically mentioned, I assume it applies.
    Dave posted that it was fine to use the 340 set as large.....not that it was better to do that instead of using small and a sub.

The Sierra-1 has excellent bass, but it still benefits from a sub with excellent sound quality.
    -curtis