Thread: My sub is dead; questions about the walnut veneer

Default My sub is dead; questions about the walnut veneer

So last night I knocked over my right Sierra-1 while fiddling with some cables behind the TV. It tumbled... right into my subwoofer. My UFW-10 has a nice big slash now on the woofer from the Sierra (as well as cosmetic damage to the top piano black surface). I even managed to ding one of the corners of the Sierra Anyway, I'm pretty pissed at myself, since I was going to sell this sub to help finance my Rythmik purchase. Clearly I need some better stands or to be less clumsy.

So, the need for a new sub has just become much more pressing. I was really hoping for a bamboo veneer, but that does not seem to be an imminent option. And, according to Brian, a downfiring sub will not be the best on my wood floors so the D-15SE is out (though if my UFW-10 had been downfiring it would have saved the woofer!) Therefore, I'm pretty much left with the F15 (would rather go 15" than 12" for the extra output, since with the new 15" driver it sounds like it is ok to cross at 80hz if I choose, and the sq is essentially equal to the 12").

I don't really like the black oak. So my question is, is the Walnut finish real wood veneer? While it would be another unmatched wood in my living room, it might look alright.

Also (and I will check with Ascend directly as well) is there any update regarding the ability to pick up the subs at Ascend's offices?

Default Re: My sub is dead; questions about the walnut veneer

The specs list the finish as "Black oak or walnut (PVC)" which indicates it's a plastic faux-wood instead of a real wood.

DaveF made a comment somewhere about shipping directly from Rythmik now and through Ascend later, but I don't know if he had a timeline set for that. I wouldn't expect it to be available at their offices now, but it's worth a call to check.

ahh thank you, didn't notice that on the specs. Makes me even less enthused

Quote Originally Posted by ebh View Post
    ... according to Brian, a downfiring sub will not be the best on my wood floors so the D-15SE is out (though if my UFW-10 had been downfiring it would have saved the woofer!) Therefore, I'm pretty much left with the F15 (would rather go 15" than 12" for the extra output, since with the new 15" driver it sounds like it is ok to cross at 80hz if I choose, and the sq is essentially equal to the 12").
    Honestly, I wouldn't be concerned with the down firing sub on hard wood floors. We sold down firing Hsu subwoofers for many, many years and never had any reported problems on hard wood flooring, regardless of what the subflooring material was made of.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave, thanks for the response, especially with everything else going on. Maybe I will give it a shot, perhaps adding a subdude. I'll call Monday to find out the ETA for when subs will be available directly from you guys. Now that I live in LA, I would like to take advantage

That really sucks about your Sierra falling off your stand! I use blu-tack to fasten mine to my stand. Works like a charm, and doesn't damage the speakers.

yes, i still feel like crap about it. wish it hadn't dinged my sierra, though you cant really see it unless you get close. the sub is what took the most damage. i need to get blu tack and also better stands at some point. and i still havent ordered my rythmik. i keep hoping that ill hear something about bamboo veneer, but i have a feeling that wont come for a while. i should just bite the bullet and get the piano black. it just doesnt go as well with my decor.

Wow, this is the first time I've heard of a Sierra killing another speaker. Dave, you better start putting warning stickers on these monsters.