Thread: Help connecting a squeezebox directly to amp

Default Help connecting a squeezebox directly to amp

So I'm interested in connecting my squeezebox series 2 directly to my amp, bypassing any pre-amp as described in http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...ct_To_PowerAmp . I have a Sherwood Newcastle A-965. It sounds like the first thing I need to figure out is the input sensitivity of my amp. Anyone know where I find this info?

It all sounds a little complicated, but something worth trying. I also need to figure out a switch so I can use both my squeezebox and pre-pro. I have a cheap radioshack one, but if anyone knows of an RCA switch with IR that I could use with my harmony, that would be useful.

Default Re: Help connecting a squeezebox directly to amp

Why not just connect the Squeezebox digitally to your pre/pro?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Why not just connect the Squeezebox digitally to your pre/pro?
    I've heard people say they really enjoy the sound quality of the squeezebox connected directly to the amp. Right now I'm using a Yammy RX-V663 as a pre/pro until I decide what "real" pre/pro to get. I doubt it has the best DACs and whatnot. Currently I have my squeezebox connected via analog cables to the Yammy. I already think it sounds quite a bit better than my previous setup (Panny XR55) thanks to the amp, but wanted to give this a try.

As another question, what do I need for a 12v trigger between the pre/pro and amp? Just a stereo mini cable?

Since it is quite easy, I would try the digital connection. If you are using bass management on the Yammy, it is digitizing the analog signal you feed it to do the processing.

I actually think for the trigger, it is a mono cable.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Since it is quite easy, I would try the digital connection. If you are using bass management on the Yammy, it is digitizing the analog signal you feed it to do the processing.

I actually think for the trigger, it is a mono cable.
    Good point. I will try it. I was using the "Pure Direct" mode last night, which supposedly sends a straight analog signal (i.e. runs the sierras full range) but haven't played around with adding the subwoofer yet. Just got everything set up and haven't done any tweaking yet.

I love devices like the Squeezebox...I rarely use my disc player anymore.
    -curtis