Thread: center channel and better blending

Default center channel and better blending

hi all,

I have been tinkering with my center channel a bit. originally i had it on level with the stand (so below screen) and angled upwards towards listening position. this worked well but pulled the dialog ever so slightly down; but really the problem was that it obscured the tv by 1" which was annoying (especially if laying down or slouching). yes I'm a sloucher

so I installed brackets and mounted it above my tv (it ended up being 1.5" above) and angled it downwards towards the listening position. the opposite happened, dialog was pulled up ever so slightly above the tv. this is noticeable when the center channel is singled out for use at key points in shows or movies. when the track is mixed well to all three, the dialogue is quite nicely placed at ear position and sounds good (my LR's are slightly above ear level by maybe 2" and are about 10ft away from seating).

so, with all that said I still keep being bothered by the moments when dialogue hits center channel and center only-- as it becomes a bit apparent where it's coming from. does anyone know what steps I can try next to blend this a bit better?

LR: 170se
    C: 340se

Default Re: center channel and better blending

Make sure the front of the speaker is at least even with the front of the TV, and not behind it.
    -curtis

sorry i don't have any helpful info for you... but i do have a question. what did you use for mounting your speaker?
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Make sure the front of the speaker is at least even with the front of the TV, and not behind it.
    thanks for the reply; and yes it is, they are all flush with the tv, actually about 1/4 or 1/2 inch further out, not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by drewface View Post
    sorry i don't have any helpful info for you... but i do have a question. what did you use for mounting your speaker?

I used lowe's (like home depot) wall mountable L shaped bookshelf brackets. They flex a bit (about an inch under the load) but works great. not a single issue yet. If I did it again, I'd go after the non-flexing bracket they have (has a crossbrace). Very cheap in total, maybe 15$?

check out my scattered post on it:
    http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...&postcount=135

Quote Originally Posted by scape View Post
    thanks for the reply; and yes it is, they are all flush with the tv, actually about 1/4 or 1/2 inch further out, not by much.
    Good.

Do you have some pictures of the setup to help us visualize?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Good.

Do you have some pictures of the setup to help us visualize?
    yea, please see the post link above it has a few pics of the setup. just ignore the jbl boxes, I'm using them as stands temporarily :\