Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone compared Sierra-1 to Swan D2.1SE

Default Anyone compared Sierra-1 to Swan D2.1SE

I know that one of these 2 speakers will be purchased shortly. I wish I could afford to buy them both at the same time and compare them but since I don't have 2K laying around I will have to ask those who have heard both.

From the reviews I have read that Swans go deeper but Sierra -1 has better more controlled lows. "They" also say the Swans are pickier about placement than the Sierra-1. While the Sierra is a good looking speaker, those Swans are gorgeous. At the same time, buying the Sierra-1 is supporting an American business and that 7 year warranty ain't nothing to sneeze at.

To be honest, the main reason I am even considering the Swan is their looks and the fact that it is the same driver as Totem uses and I LOVE Totem. Yes, I know Totem modifies with the driver or so they say.

Default Re: Anyone compared Sierra-1 to Swan D2.1SE

Here is a listening session I had with a handful of other people:
    http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=2992

I thought Totem used Dynaudio drivers, not HiVi.
    -curtis

I saw the Swans at Craig's Erie GTG in Sep. '07. They are a very nicely finished speaker. Did not have the chance to compare with the Sierras, which were also on hand. Too much going on I suppose. From what I remember they do sound very good. They are a fair bit larger than the Sierras. I have one of the 1st run pairs of Sierra-1's, so I had them for several months prior to the GTG. I would put them up against the Swans any day with no hesitation. Of course, you have to decide what works best for you.

I will say that combined with my Rythmik DS12 I built last year, you would have to pay a whole lot more to surpass this combo. A WHOLE lot more.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Here is a listening session I had with a handful of other people:
    http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=2992

I thought Totem used Dynaudio drivers, not HiVi.
    There is DEFINITELY a HiVi driver in the Forest, I think Dynaudio drivers are used in the Model 1 and the Mani 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post

I will say that combined with my Rythmik DS12 I built last year, you would have to pay a whole lot more to surpass this combo. A WHOLE lot more.
    Got the same combo..
    And I agree!!

This is so very hard. My head is telling me that the Sierra-1 is more of what I want; tighter more control to the bass and not as picky about placement, but I love the look of the Swans.

Quote Originally Posted by TKYR67 View Post
    This is so very hard. My head is telling me that the Sierra-1 is more of what I want; tighter more control to the bass and not as picky about placement, but I love the look of the Swans.
    If looks are your primary concern and you prefer the Swan finish, than order a pair without comparing them to the Sierra-1's and you may be happy. You also may have that nagging feeling in the back of your mind that you are missing something with the Sierra's and end up 2nd guessing. It's the nature of our hobby. Best thing to do is try and set up a direct listening session with both sets and declaring your favorite. You can return the 2nd place pair and only be out shipping, but at least you will have peace of mind.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by TKYR67 View Post
    So basically, what you're saying is that you're very superficial and that looks is what counts for you. I don't think you should focus that much on what drivers Totem uses, for what it's worth, their latest speakers, the TribeIII, which sells for $3000 or something, uses the same SEAS tweeter as the Sierras. But for some reason, they seem to have oriented the tweeter vertically instead of horizontally for their left and right mains...

http://www.hometheatermag.com/inwallspeakers/1107tot/

Also, yeah, Totem either uses Dynaudio drivers or HiVi... Originally Totem was all Dynaudio, but Dynaudio stopped selling their drivers, and so they had to turn to HiVi which offers a cheaper yet similar driver, so it's been said... Too bad you missed the 500$ Swan 2.1 sale as this should have made the decision easier...

Personally, sound is the priority for speakers, going for looks while having in the back of your mind that you might have not gotten the speakers which sound you'd prefer might nag you in the long run... Sucks that you can't hear speakers before buying them... Also not sure where you were planning to order the Swans, but be careful as some even have restocking fees, like 15% for some, so not only do you lose on two way shipping, also are hit with an extra $150 of restocking fees if you want to send them back, ouch!
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 11-11-2008 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    ....uses the same SEAS tweeter as the Sierras...
    It is not exactly the same. For better or worse, the units in the Sierras are customized.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    So basically, what you're saying is that you're very superficial and that looks is what counts for you. I don't think you should focus that much on what drivers Totem uses, for what it's worth, their latest speakers, the TribeIII, which sells for $3000 or something, uses the same SEAS tweeter as the Sierras. But for some reason, they seem to have oriented the tweeter vertically instead of horizontally for their left and right mains...

http://www.hometheatermag.com/inwallspeakers/1107tot/

Also, yeah, Totem either uses Dynaudio drivers or HiVi... Originally Totem was all Dynaudio, but Dynaudio stopped selling their drivers, and so they had to turn to HiVi which offers a cheaper yet similar driver, so it's been said... Too bad you missed the 500$ Swan 2.1 sale as this should have made the decision easier...

Personally, sound is the priority for speakers, going for looks while having in the back of your mind that you might have not gotten the speakers which sound you'd prefer might nag you in the long run... Sucks that you can't hear speakers before buying them... Also not sure where you were planning to order the Swans, but be careful as some even have restocking fees, like 15% for some, so not only do you lose on two way shipping, also are hit with an extra $150 of restocking fees if you want to send them back, ouch!
    Okay I am going to be honest, I am superficial. LOL! However, from pretty much everything I have read, I know the Sierra-1 is what I am looking for. I am 99% sure a pair of Piano Black Sierras are in my near future.