Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: two 170-se's vs 1 340-se as center channel

Default Re: two 170-se's vs 1 340-se as center channel

Quote Originally Posted by leon55 View Post
    Do you have to rotate the tweeter in the 340SE. I am going to be using them as centers stacked on top of each other. I have a center and am going to use one of the mains.

Nope
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

Do you have to rotate the tweeter in the 340SE. I am going to be using them as centers stacked on top of each other. I have a center and am going to use one of the mains.
    so two 340's stacked?

340's use the same tweeter as the 170, therefore no rotation needed.

You're going to stack two 340's as centers? May I ask what you hope to gain?

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
    It is not really because they are the same tweeter, it is because the tweeter has the same radiation pattern horizontally and vertically.

The old "classic" 340 tweeter had a dispersion "lens" in front of the dome. That is what necessitated the need to rotate the tweeter when the orientation was changed.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by DougMac View Post

You're going to stack two 340's as centers? May I ask what you hope to gain?

Doug
    Hopefully a bigger bang!

Hopefully a bigger bang!
    I saw one guy with dual center speakers, he had a true theater room and I guess to fill the room evenly with sound he needed this configuration. now that I think about my original post, a single 340 was all I ever needed. how big is your room? maybe money should be spent on something else for more impact.

My room is 14 x 17 x 8. Not that big. I have panels and bass traps, diy version. I just bought new mains and have these extra 340se's and just wondered what 2 centers would be like. I have them hooked up now just need to pop in Mr. Brooks and see if I can feel the gunshot scene in the hallway. Always looking for a little more.

My room is 14 x 17 x 8. Not that big. I have panels and bass traps, diy version. I just bought new mains and have these extra 340se's and just wondered what 2 centers would be like. I have them hooked up now just need to pop in Mr. Brooks and see if I can feel the gunshot scene in the hallway. Always looking for a little more.
    i know what you mean
    how do you have the two 340's hooked up? I'd watch the load on the amp, 4ohms might be a bit stressful.

I have an a/b speaker selector. I have one speaker on a and the other on b. I believe this is still 8 ohm load.

I have an a/b speaker selector. I have one speaker on a and the other on b. I believe this is still 8 ohm load.
    ahh, yes. that sounds fine. can you configure both to be as center channel on your amp? that is starting to sound like a good idea
    I would double check the stacking concept though, distortion might play a factor. originally I was going to place one speaker below screen and angled up, and the other above and angled down a bit-- someone mentioned distortion and clarity above in the posts, so then I thought of on the sides of the tv but something like that sounds better for a 340 mtm.