Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: two 170-se's vs 1 340-se as center channel

Default Re: two 170-se's vs 1 340-se as center channel

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    If using the speaker horizontally, the appropriate off-axis response measurements to reference for horizontal dispersion would be the vertical response measurements.

Hope this helps!
    ok, wow let me put that together in my head for a second. this would mean the vertical alignment would need to be more specific, but the horizontal dispersion would be less strict and thus enable a larger listening window?

Quote Originally Posted by scape View Post
    ok, wow let me put that together in my head for a second. this would mean the vertical alignment would need to be more specific, but the horizontal dispersion would be less strict and thus enable a larger listening window?

Hi Scape,

I am not quite sure I follow you on this one My post was in reference to the measurements posted on our site and which ones should be used to examine the horizontal dispersion of a CBM-170 SE when positioned horizontally.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi Scape,

I am not quite sure I follow you on this one My post was in reference to the measurements posted on our site and which ones should be used to examine the horizontal dispersion of a CBM-170 SE when positioned horizontally.
    i'm not even sure what I wrote, lol
    thanks for your input, btw. it's nice to see such support and interest regarding an older model.
    after rereading what you said and looking over the chart, it looks like the off-axis is better at vertical stance-- unless i'm still confused, which i feel like i am! it is appealing to have all three 170se's upfront instead of substituting for a different center, but the shape and size of the 170 is a bit hard to visualize as a center (above tv).

thanks again!

i'm not even sure what I wrote, lol
    thanks for your input, btw. it's nice to see such support and interest regarding an older model.
    You are most welcome, it is the best part of my day (until I am home with the kids )

after rereading what you said and looking over the chart, it looks like the off-axis is better at vertical stance-- unless i'm still confused, which i feel like i am! it is appealing to have all three 170se's upfront instead of substituting for a different center, but the shape and size of the 170 is a bit hard to visualize as a center (above tv).
    Yes, the off-axis response of 170 SE is slightly better horizontally than vertically, but both are very close to each other. If the shape and size of the center is off, why not go with the 340SE? It is a better center channel...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I re-read your OP and I'm still trying to figure out why you're considering two 170's instead of on 340. The best I can tell is that you're thinking about possibly using them as surrounds in the future and you think they'd (1) look better up front.

I suggest you go with either one 170 or better yet, the 340. I think using two 170's as center has at least two potential problems. By feeding the mono center source to two speakers, there's a chance that you may get uneven frequency response due to wave cancellation. They would have to be carefully placed. The 340 has been carefully designed to prevent that, with the woofer placement calculated for maximum performance. The only thing you'd get from two 170's would be an extra tweeter and I don't think you'd be able to hear an advantage. The other possible problem is wiring the two speakers. If you wire them in parallell, then you'll halve the impedence, from 8 ohms to 4. Now you have an impedence mismatch with your mains. Check the recommended impedence for your amp. Perhaps Dave can elaborate.

I have a 340 center and it sounds great. We watched "House" in hi def the other night and there's a little subtle percussion in the theme song that's placed in the center channel. I never heard it with my old system.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
    I re-read your OP and I'm still trying to figure out why you're considering two 170's instead of on 340. The best I can tell is that you're thinking about possibly using them as surrounds in the future and you think they'd (1) look better up front.

I suggest you go with either one 170 or better yet, the 340. I think using two 170's as center has at least two potential problems. By feeding the mono center source to two speakers, there's a chance that you may get uneven frequency response due to wave cancellation. They would have to be carefully placed. The 340 has been carefully designed to prevent that, with the woofer placement calculated for maximum performance. The only thing you'd get from two 170's would be an extra tweeter and I don't think you'd be able to hear an advantage. The other possible problem is wiring the two speakers. If you wire them in parallell, then you'll halve the impedence, from 8 ohms to 4. Now you have an impedence mismatch with your mains. Check the recommended impedence for your amp. Perhaps Dave can elaborate.

I have a 340 center and it sounds great. We watched "House" in hi def the other night and there's a little subtle percussion in the theme song that's placed in the center channel. I never heard it with my old system.

Doug
    thanks for the reply, yea i was worried about the ohms portion of it, but i never really thought much about wave cancellation and placement issues. i figured it would offer a bit more placement options (above and below) and ultimately become a back surrounds as i moved up later on in life. i think you make good points though, it would simply make more sense to utilize the 340 and be done with it. in the end i could always move the center back to complete a 6.1 or something similar. now to save up again :P

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    problem solved, lol

Truely an incredible deal, jump on it!!!
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    The tweeter in the 170SE does not require rotating when placed horizontally.
    Do you have to rotate the tweeter in the 340SE. I am going to be using them as centers stacked on top of each other. I have a center and am going to use one of the mains.