Thread: sonos v. squeezebox (classic or duet)

Default sonos v. squeezebox (classic or duet)

Just wanted to see if any of you have opinions on a Sonos system v. a Squeezebox setup. What made you choose one over the other?

Default Re: sonos v. squeezebox (classic or duet)

I waited for the Duet to come out because of the cost and the good reputation for community support from SlimDevices. Expanding a Duet system is fairly inexpensive. I like the one-handed use of the remote. The interface is ipod-like, but with a couple of notable differences (selecting vs playing vs queuing). At the moment, the headphone jack of the remote is disabled, but that is supposed to be enabled in a future software release. That will be a nice bonus because it's basically an in-house ipod with virtually unlimited storage (whatever your "server" can handle).

I know Curtis has a Sonos system and enjoys it.

I think both setups are great, and it really boils down to the features you want.

I got my Sonos before the Duet was announced. I am not sure that would have changed my decision though......for me, the nicest thing about the Sonos is that I do not need a PC/Server to be on in order to use it.
    -curtis

Personally, I'm a fan of the Squeezebox classic. I like being able to just use my IR remote - I can easily read the SB display from 10 feet.
    That said, I haven't used either the Duet or Sonos, so maybe having in my hand would be nice. But, I have a feeling the remote would always be across the room when I wanted to use it.
    I also like the community support of the Squeezebox ecosystem and the various plugins and tweaks people come up with.

Mitch

FWIW...I had a Squeezebox 2 before I had the Sonos....and loved it.
    -curtis

Sonos just announced a software and hardware refresh. Tom's Hardware site just did a review.....and they used Sierra-1's in the sound quality part of the review!

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Sonos-wi...ew-1120-8.html
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Sonos just announced a software and hardware refresh. Tom's Hardware site just did a review.....and they used Sierra-1's in the sound quality part of the review!

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Sonos-wi...ew-1120-8.html
    Cool to see Sierras used.

Apparently Logitech is also putting out new hardware - a Squeezebox with built-in amp and speakers called the Boom. Basically a Squeezebox table radio.

A Squeezebox table radio and being able to place it anywhere within reach of your wireless network is a great idea.
    -curtis