Thread: Denon 988 AVR on sale at Circuit City-$649

Thumbs up Denon 988 AVR on sale at Circuit City-$649

It only has 2 HDMI inputs- V 1.3, but for 649 it looks to be a great deal, this unit is said to be the same(for all intents and purposes) as the Denon 2808.
    If you need more inputs, a switch isn't that costly.
    It Decodes DTS-MA and Dolby Tru-HD (for BD players that Bitstream), and has Pre-amp outs, which folks with outboard amps will want to use.
    I'm REALLY considering picking one of these up to use as a Pre/Pro and retiring my Non-HDMI Boston Acoustics AVP7 (AKA Sherwood Newcastle P-965).
    Last edited by muzz; 07-13-2008 at 08:38 AM.

Default Re: Denon 988 AVR on sale at Circuit City-$649

Talking Re: Denon 988 AVR on sale at Circuit City-$649

Got 1.

Since I wanted an HDMI pre/pro to play BD discs (instead of waiting for a decent player with full decoding over analogs, and decent BM), I also picked up an LG BH200 Dual Format Player that Decodes and bitsreams......
    Pre/Pro's with HDMI 1.3a are tough to find for a decent price, and the ones that are out there seem to have some issues from all I've read.
    I haven't had time to do proper manual and Audyssey setups yet, but it seems to be working fine so far.
    Dual Format player only takes up 1 hdmi port as well.

I am finally in the BD camp, and BM isn't an issue, it also plays my HD DVDS just fine as well!!

So far so good.

oooohhh.....muzz got a couple of new toys!
    -curtis

Yep

I was getting tired of being held hostage by the CE'S Curtis, they don't give a crap about folks with Analog anymore, and it's not going to get any better.
    I figured WTH, I have the amp, for that cheap price I could justify it to myself, cuz trying to find an HDMI 1.3a P/P for that kinda bread isn't happening.
    For $1199 I wouldn't have, but this should tide me over until they come down in price, and after that I can sell it, or just use it as a full AVR somewhere else.

I'll need some time to set it up correctly of course, hopefully later today I'll get some time.

You realize this thread is 7 1/2 years old, right?
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables