Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: avr not enough power for speakers?

Default Re: avr not enough power for speakers?

Do you have anything else besides the PS3 hooked up?
    -curtis

FWIW, I have a PS3 also, and there's a bit of audible hiss/white noise whenever a CD is being played. I had assumed it's low level sound on the recording, since it's not there when in the XMB and movies.

I've heard it on more than one CD too, so it's possible the PS3 has some noise in it's CD player "software". Maybe double check for PS3 settings to see how it's outputting the signal, bitstream, PCM, etc.

Now you have me curious....

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Do you have anything else besides the PS3 hooked up?
    no just to the receiver my cable box etc. goes to my tv till i get a receiver that does hdmi in and out. checking out my sound settings right now doug thanks.

hey doug can you post up your ps3 settings for music? what is your audio cd import set at? mines at 128 kbps is that good it can go too 320?

audio cd output frequency? is at 48 khz or 44.1/88.2/176.4khz? way too high on the second isnt it?

bitmapping dont even know what that means. type 1,2,3 or off. Sorry man but i dont know much about hrz's or any of this lol. thanks for all the help guys really your great.

Just to confirm a few items.

1. You only hear the hiss when using a CD source, correct?

2. The hiss changes in volume when you change the volume level of the receiver. This means that this hiss exists before the pre-amp section of the receiver.

3. The hiss stops when you hit pause on your CD player.

Based on these items, it is reasonable to conclude that the hiss is coming into the receiver, rather than being generated by the receiver. I suspect your PS3 is the culprit, however, as others have mentioned, you could be hearing master tape hiss. Older CD's are recorded from master tapes and definitely have tape hiss. If you have a modern CD that sounds perfect, no hiss - then your PS3 is fine and you are simply hearing the complete source material (hiss and all). If you hear hiss on every CD, something is not quite right with your PS3...

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by get_zwole View Post
    hey doug can you post up your ps3 settings for music? what is your audio cd import set at? mines at 128 kbps is that good it can go too 320?

audio cd output frequency? is at 48 khz or 44.1/88.2/176.4khz? way too high on the second isnt it?

bitmapping dont even know what that means. type 1,2,3 or off. Sorry man but i dont know much about hrz's or any of this lol. thanks for all the help guys really your great.
    Based on the receiver you are using, I must assume you are running analog out from the PS3 to the receiver. I am not sure if these settings would matter in your case (since you are running analog out)
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Based on the receiver you are using, I must assume you are running analog out from the PS3 to the receiver. I am not sure if these settings would matter in your case (since you are running analog out)
    no im running optical to the receiver its old but was very nice back in 99 when my dad bought it. think it ran him like a grand or so. Do i wanna add cd's to the library with aac or mp3 isnt mp3 compressed? and if aac at 128 or 320kb or whatever lol.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Just to confirm a few items.

1. You only hear the hiss when using a CD source, correct?

2. The hiss changes in volume when you change the volume level of the receiver. This means that this hiss exists before the pre-amp section of the receiver.

3. The hiss stops when you hit pause on your CD player.

Based on these items, it is reasonable to conclude that the hiss is coming into the receiver, rather than being generated by the receiver. I suspect your PS3 is the culprit, however, as others have mentioned, you could be hearing master tape hiss. Older CD's are recorded from master tapes and definitely have tape hiss. If you have a modern CD that sounds perfect, no hiss - then your PS3 is fine and you are simply hearing the complete source material (hiss and all). If you hear hiss on every CD, something is not quite right with your PS3...

Hope this helps!
    i bet your right dave thanks for helping me figure out the problem Thanks to everybody else that posted as well really appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by get_zwole View Post
    no im running optical to the receiver its old but was very nice back in 99 when my dad bought it. think it ran him like a grand or so. Do i wanna add cd's to the library with aac or mp3 isnt mp3 compressed? and if aac at 128 or 320kb or whatever lol.
    Ahh -- good. I suggest trying to use the analog out of the PS3 into the CD input on your receiver. Chances are that the D/A converter in your PS3 is far superior to the D/A converter in your older receiver.

In other words, in your setup your receiver is converting the digital signal to analog and you might be much better off having the PS3 take care of this, especially since the A/D converters in your PS3 are the latest generation, as compared to your receiver.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com