Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: avr not enough power for speakers?

Default avr not enough power for speakers?

Ok guys i have a bout 10 year old HK avr 65 its rated at 75 watts per channel 5.1 i believe. I have Ascend acoustics L/R/C Sub isnt here yet. Just calibrated my system and im at only 20 sometimes 19 if im not still on master volume. On test tones im right at 75 maybe a tad lower 74 very very close though. Listening to a jack johnson cd right now at reference level with 93 db peaks mostly 86 87 or so. So master volume is at 19. My question is when the music pauses i have a airy scratchy sound coming through the speakers like a wind noise or something. Is this because my reciever is having to work too hard to push the speakers? I plan on getting a onkyo 805 in the next week or so. But i dont wanna push it hard enough its clipping or whatever and hurting my speakers. Is this normal? I havent heard this sound before just kinda sounds like wind or well hard to explain im sure some of you have heard it before. Anyways thats basically my question is about the airy or wind sound. The explanation was to make sure i did everything correct. Thanks for any help. Sorry about my grammar or punctuation i just got home from work and it hurts my arms just to type lol thanks again.

Default Re: avr not enough power for speakers?

also ive checked and double checked speaker terminals and avr terminals everything is connected good. Using 12 gauge speaker wire from monoprice thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by get_zwole View Post
    Listening to a jack johnson cd right now at reference level with 93 db peaks mostly 86 87 or so. So master volume is at 19. My question is when the music pauses i have a airy scratchy sound coming through the speakers like a wind noise or something. Is this because my reciever is having to work too hard to push the speakers?
    To confirm, you hear this only when the music stops playing, correct? Quick question, do you hear this on this CD only?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

well its kinda when it gets quiet in the songs too just harder to hear then. Oh and no not just this cd just about everyone when i get up in volume a bit. Never go to the extreme though.

Quote Originally Posted by get_zwole View Post
    well its kinda when it gets quiet in the songs too just harder to hear then. Oh and no not just this cd just about everyone when i get up in volume a bit. Never go to the extreme though.
    Sounds to me like noise or possibly even a ground loop. If this was related to power (not enough etc.), you would be hearing distortion at the loudest parts of the song, not the quiet parts.

Hit pause on the CD when you hear this noise, does it go away?

Remember, loudspeakers are only going to reproduce what they are being sent. Is it possible you are hearing a subtle instrument in the background that you hadn't noticed before? Perhaps a brush being dragged across a cymbal?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Ahh -- one more thing -- you mentioned it sounds like wind. Does it oscillate or change in pitch? If so, it could very well be transistor noise, in which case -- your receiver could very well be on its way out.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

not really its more like a hiss now that i think about it like a very light test tone behind the music. Ok its not lack of power no distorting is going on. Doesnt really change sound unless i turn it up louder then it gets louder etc.
    edit thanks alot dave really appreciate your help.

yes when i hit pause it stops. I know its not an instrument i think its just noise from the receiver, ground loop could that be this culprit? If so how can i check that.

It could be that you're hearing tape hiss from the original master that your prior speakers weren't reproducing as well. I've found that my Ascends reproduce subtle musical details I wasn't hearing with my other speakers. That's the good news. The bad news is that they also reproduce any faults with the original recording, including tape hiss, better.

The fact the noise stops when you pause your CD player leads me to believe the problem lies elsewhere, either with the source material or with electronics in your CD player. Do you have the CD player hooked up using analog connections (RCA) or do you use an optical or coax digital connection? Given the age of your receiver, I'm betting you're using analog. Also, is your CD player the same age as your receiver? If so, you might start by getting a newer CD player. Even fairly inexpensive newer players will have better DACs.

Doug

hey man thanks for the reply. I have a ps3 hooked up optical to my reciever thats what i use for music storage cd player and dvd etc.
    edit link to my receiver i use http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-.../dp/B00000JCRO