Thread: Questions for 170 owners

Default Questions for 170 owners

I posted this in another discussion area, but had a good suggestion to try a better spot for it... Thanks!

So I'm hopping around the various ID A/V sites and wanted to drop in here. I have a basement HT (family room that morphs) that is 21' L x 12.5' W x 7' H (2100 cubic feet) I just put in a Panasonic PT-AX200U projector w/ a 100" Elite Screen. I have a Denon AVR 1802 (80W) receiver w/ 4 x B&W 601S2s, a B&W CC6, and a Velodyne 8" sub. Although the sound is good - I'm looking for more. The things I think I'm missing are detail, clarity, and a sense that the speakers aren't even there.

I really like the idea of 5 matching speakers so if I go w/ Ascend I'm thinking 5 170s. The CMTs look great - but with the stands I have (or if I mounted on the wall) these just won't work as well. The Sierra 1s are a bit pricy. I'm probably holding off for a little while on purchasing but want to get my research done. Although - depending on what I get for my B&Ws - I may almost break even on the 170s...hmmm....

Anyway a few questions:

1) Will 5 x 170s fill this room well?
    2) Will the 170s satisfy my criteria above?
    3) Anyone out there in Denver who would be willing to show off their Ascend gear?

Thanks!

Adam

Default Re: Questions for 170 owners

I think 5 170SE's would work fine in your room.

I would also think about upgrading your sub as well to better handle that space.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I think 5 170SE's would work fine in your room.

I would also think about upgrading your sub as well to better handle that space.
    Curtis - thanks for the reply. Yes, upgrading my sub is definitely on the agenda. Currently I'm thinking one of the Outlaw or Hsu subs.

Good to hear about the 170s. They seem like they're quite remarkable. The amazing thing is that it looks like I could sell my B&Ws and almost break even on the process.

Adam

the 170's would work well. I just upgraded my sub as well. I got the HSU VTF2-MK3 and it is an incredible combo with the 170's.
    Andrew
    -------------------------

TV: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR706, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Blu Ray: Sony BDP-N460
    Fronts/Center/Surrounds: Sierra Towers Nrt, Sierra-1, HTM-200
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK-4