Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Let’s talk subwoofers...

Default Re: Let’s talk subwoofers...

You just plug the microphone into the subwoofer, and push a button. The sub then produces a series of test tones. It's all automatic. You just hold the microphone while sitting in your favorite listening position. It optimizes the bass signals in any given room. All that is left to your judgement is subwoofer volume. It makes a world of difference. Once the procedure is done, you do not have to do again, unless you change the location of your subwoofer. Also I did want to add, that I myself would prefer a sealed enclosure. Sealed enclosures do not have to be as physically large as ported enclosures, to produce the same amount of sound. Also it is a common fact that they produce tighter, cleaner, and more musical bass.
    Jim

1.Sound Quality

2.Output capabilities

3.Deep bass

4.Finish quality

5.Size

I did put size last but I do feel I should mention that I am a single guy with my own house. No WAF necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhooper1963 View Post
    You just plug the microphone into the subwoofer, and push a button. The sub then produces a series of test tones. It's all automatic. You just hold the microphone while sitting in your favorite listening position. It optimizes the bass signals in any given room. All that is left to your judgement is subwoofer volume. It makes a world of difference. Once the procedure is done, you do not have to do again, unless you change the location of your subwoofer. Also I did want to add, that I myself would prefer a sealed enclosure. Sealed enclosures do not have to be as physically large as ported enclosures, to produce the same amount of sound. Also it is a common fact that they produce tighter, cleaner, and more musical bass.
    Thank you for the explanation. I want one....

My receiver does that, is what you are describing different in some way?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Please see the below list of subwoofer characteristics. They are in no particular order. Please reply and rank them in the order of your personal priorities for a quality Ascend Acoustics subwoofer. Please list each of them in the order of their importance to you (top to bottom etc.).

#1 Sound Quality (characterized by low distortion, accurate transient response and linear frequency response) Besides listening to a lot of music, there is a great deal of music in movies. Quality of sound is what would make me upgrade.

#2 Deep bass - I have a HSU VTF 3.2 as my frame of reference and love the low frequency it provides. I wouldn't want anything less.

#3 Output capabilities

#4 Size - Nothing larger than what I own.

#5 Finish quality (do we care about a furniture quality finish for a subwoofer?) Piano Black to match my Sierra's?

Michael

Talking Re: Let’s talk subwoofers...

sweet! unlike most regulars on this board, i've been holding off on a sub purchase to see what you're going to offer. can't wait to hear more details!

1. Sound Quality (duh)
    2. Deep bass
    3. Size (tough choice between this and #4, but i think this is the right spot for me)
    4. Output (i'm not too crazy about systems with sub levels real high, i'm just looking for something to really round out the lower end of the sound spectrum)
    5. Finish (it'd be nice if it matched my 340SE/170SEs, but piano black would also be fine by me... )
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Quote Originally Posted by buddhadas View Post
    My receiver does that, is what you are describing different in some way?
    What receiver do you have?

There is auto eq and auto setup......both different.
    -curtis

1) Sound Quality - Absolutely number 1. For me, this means fast transient response without resonance. Bass that is detailed and taut. Not necessarily super low THD.

2) Output levels - At least in the common bass range, say 40hz to 100hz. My current sub (JL) has a flat frequency response from 20hz to 100hz. As the volume gets extreme, obviously it cannot reproduce the 20-25hz bass super loud since it is a very compact subwoofer. However, it can produce the 40hz+ bass at very high volumes. I think this adds significantly to the enjoyment of movies and music. I would rather have a sub that can push the output volumes in the common bass range despite a reasonable increase in THD, than one that is restricted in output. Take a look at these two subs as examples:

JL F113:
    http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-f113-new.html

Genelec HTS3B:
    http://www.avtalk.co.uk/forum/index....t=0&rid=0&SQ=0

Both subs retail for $3500. I have listened to both. (We have the Genelec at our store in our theater room). It doesn't really impress me nearly as much as the JLs. Sure it has flat frequency response and low distortion but it is lacking in dynamics.

3) Size - No more huge subs for me. It doesn't have to be tiny. If I were getting a new sub, I wouldn't want anything larger than a HSU VTF-2 MK3.

4) Finish Quality - I'd like to see multiple options, you know plain black and glossy black or bamboo?

5) Deep bass - 2 years ago I probably would have ranked this much higher. My previous sub HSU VTF3-HO has more 16hz output than my current sub but I don't really miss it. Once you get below 20hz, you really have to be at very high volumes levels to even notice it. The improvement in dynamics and bass articulation from my JL far outweigh the higher 16hz output that I was getting before.

Hi Curtis,

I have a Denon 3805, are the set-up capabilities different than what the other poster was mentioning with a sub?

Thanks,

Jim

Wow -- Thanks so much!!!

This is absolutely wonderful feedback so far and I must say that it is really helping me! I just threw out 1 completed design (probably about 100 hours of work and many samples) Now it is down to just two but based on the info here, I am starting to lean in a very specific direction...

Please keep the feedback coming....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com