Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Let’s talk subwoofers...

Default Re: Let’s talk subwoofers...

Tight, clean, musical, and most of all priced competitively. Wow that's a tall order. Just ask Bruce Hall at Velodyne Acoustics, Dr. Hsu at HSU research, or whomever is running the show at SVS. Dave is right, the subwoofer market is very competitive. All three of these companies have one thing in common- they are driven by individuals with a PASSION for bass. The same passion,that I know Dave must have for loudspeakers. I will be needing to upgrade my sub soon. I need to replace my Outlaw LFM2, that was designed by Dr. Hsu. It currently is on special for $199 on the Outlaw website. Even though I'm upgrading- I would challenge anyone to better it for $200. The profit margin on the sub must be very low. Very competitive pricing indeed! There is no name brand loyalty in the internet direct audio scheme of things. 30 days to satisfy, or it goes back. I would be interested to know what percentage of Dave's loudspeakers go back. I'm sure the sierras top the list. Not because of the quality, but because of the competition at their price level. Good luck Dave, if you decide to take on this endeavor. In the meantime, please don't forget what got you here.
    Jim

1. sound quality
    2. deep bass
    3. output (initially, if only one sub is offered I would rather have the option of buying a second sub if more output is needed than paying for output I don't need)
    4. size
    5. finish (I'd be happy with a finish similar to the SE's)

OK...here's mine:

1. Sound Quality.....absolutely!
    2. Size. Placement flexibility is the key here. After hearing Mike^S's F112 and seeing its size...I began to want a smaller more capable sub.
    3. Output capability. I agree with what chas posted about this.
    4. Deep bass. Good clean output to 25hz, and I would be happy. BTW, my current Hsu has useable output to at least 16hz in my room....and I honestly do not think I need it.
    5. Finish. A "nice to have".

2, 3, and 4 are somewhat interchangeable for me....but this is how I feel at the moment.
    -curtis

1. Sound Quality--I want something that will match well with my Sierras. By far the most important.

2. Deep bass.

3. Hard to rank--if large, the finish is important since I can use it as an end table. Output? My current Hsu VTF 3.2 is set at the 3 o'clock position. Size? Isn't smaller more expennsive? If small enough would I want two subs for my room, and integrate the new one with my current Hsu?

1. Sound Quality
    2. Output capabilities
    3. Deep bass
    4. Finish quality
    5. Size

1. • Sound Quality (characterized by low distortion, accurate transient response and linear frequency response) (One note, sloppy subs are something I never want to go back to. Musical subs do movies just fine. Besides, this characteristic is something that defines Ascend in my mind, so why should the sub be any different?)
    2. • Deep bass (you know, the 20Hz-and-under club) (I like pipe organ music and movies that dip way into the subsonic!)
    3. • Output capabilities (able to maintain extremely loud volume levels. ) (I like it loud, but have a small room and if I get a larger room, there is always the multiple sub solution for more output. Taking the modular approach to upgrades makes it easier for the limited budget folks like me to add improvements one item at a time, putting the other criteria first would allow me to enjoy the best sound with the option of saving up and adding to my output capability later.)
    4. • Finish quality (do we care about a furniture quality finish for a subwoofer?) (Not the most important, but would like options. Even if the new sub does not use bamboo as a material, a bamboo veneer to match my Sierras or a piano black finish would be nice. But in the end, I would rather have lower price with a nice, simple, blend into the background look if quality veneers would add too much to the price.)

• Size (how important is a compact size vs. a larger size) (OK, I couldn't fit a closet sized DIY sub in my room, but I managed to place coffee table sized subs without difficulty. Would be interested if any design was a tube style sub or a smaller design that still shines in the important areas though.)

Those are my votes. In addition, I have always been a ported sub user, but I would definitely not lose interest if you do something interesting that is good for music and HT in a sealed design. Would also like to know, when you are able to give more info, if the digital amp you were talking about playing with a while back might play a role in the new sub or if it was just a regular outboard amp. I am hoping to eventually have all class D amplification, digital or analog, I just love the sound and efficiency. Whatever you end up with, I can't wait to see the specs and how it will meld with the Sierras and the other Ascend models.

Chris

i've been an ascend customer for a while and this what i have come to enjoy from ascend...

1 - SQ - if it's not in tune, i don't play it
    2 - size - i don't care for large boxes
    3 - output level - not a huge deal for me
    4 - deep bass - not so important due to lack of content / enjoyment for me
    5 - finish - i would prefer the classic vinyl on a sub

now over time i would say make a second or even a third sub with an opposite approach of the initial. the hardest part is the whole time thing.

and, have fun. it was nice to stop by and see this.

As a non audiophile Ascend loving internet junkie. My wish is simple. Give me a sub to acoustically match my Serria's; maybe a volume knob and a music/movie switch. Keep it simple, I'll buy it because you know a bunch more about speakers then I do and I trust your brand. I unplugged my velo a month ago and nobody in the house has noticed. I'm a deaf old man who wants an easy - music - button and that's my 2 cents. Out!

PS Did I tell you I love my Serria's?

Another feature that might be worth consideration would be a built in microphone with auto EQ. Otherwise known as automated room optimization. My room is less than perfect- it needs all the help it can get. If you just want home theater boom, it's not as important. But for good musical bass, it is essential. However, this is just my opinion. The Velodyne SPL-R series has it, as well as the JL audio Fathom F series. These are two of the most acclaimed musical subs in their respective price ranges. I can't speak for everyone- but I'm not looking for a $700 home theater boom box. I can go to Circuit City and get one for $300. I do not want a sub that degrades my personal enjoyment by calling too much attention to itself. If you can't understand that- then you don't know the true role of a subwoofer. Any sub that I would consider would probably retail in the $1,200 -$1,500 range.
    Jim

"auto EQ"? I need to know more. Sounds easy.