Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Let’s talk subwoofers...

Default Re: Let’s talk subwoofers...

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I will also add, that IMHO, that many do not understand that in movies, the viceral impact that they feel from the sub does not come from deep bass below 25hz.
    ^ +1 to this. Don't get me wrong...I love the deep stuff - for example in WOTW it gives you that extra uneasiness that adds to the suspense.
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I will also add, that IMHO, that many do not understand that in movies, the viceral impact that they feel from the sub does not come from deep bass below 25hz.
    I agree, that's why I'd like to see high output capability in the 30-50hz range.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3 View Post
    ^ +1 to this. Don't get me wrong...I love the deep stuff - for example in WOTW it gives you that extra uneasiness that adds to the suspense.
    Yup....one of the very few movies that do this. Most mixing studios don't even have the capability of playing bass below 25hz.....as well as movie theaters.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Mike^S View Post
    I agree, that's why I'd like to see high output capability in the 30-50hz range.
    IMO opinion, high output to match the speakers(I don't think it needs to be an output monster), just like sound quality to match the speakers.

One of these days Mike.....we need to compare sound quality of subs like your JL and my Hsu when mated to the Sierras.

edit: i messed up....
    -curtis

^ I think someone should go check on curtis and make sure he's okay...hahaha

lol, Dave F? You're nearby right?

edit: curtis stoped mid-sentence for those wondering
    Last edited by Jonnyozero3; 06-15-2008 at 05:13 PM.
    Jon O.

I just purchased a velodyne SPL1200R off an authorized dealer on audiogon today. I have been "dreaming" about this sub for over a year now. I picked it up for $1159 total, shipping included with no sales tax. It was between it and an SVS SB12. The velodyne was $400 more, but it has auto EQ microphone as well as a remote control. The SVS had EQ features, but they were all manual. I read probably 100 reviews on the velodyne, and not a single negative one. Also the SVS had a 45 day trial, the velodyne does not. So I'm really gambling. I can't wait to hear it with my Sierras. I really did alot of research, and I feel that unless I was willing to buy used- this was the best deal for me. Now I just have to figure out how to get some sleep between now and Wednesday, when the sub will be here. I think it will make a huge difference. I love the Sierras, but I think they really exposed the weaknesses of my current Outlaw 8 inch subwoofer.
    Jim

#1- • Sound Quality (characterized by low distortion, accurate transient response and linear frequency response)

#2-• Output capabilities (able to maintain extremely loud volume levels)
    Without the amp overheating and shutting down

#2A-• Deep bass (you know, the 20Hz-and-under club)

#3-• Size (how important is a compact size vs. a larger size)

#4-• Finish quality (do we care about a furniture quality finish for a subwoofer?)
    This COULD be a very different picture if a Bamboo product can be made at a reasonable cost, this will inadvertantly jump up to a higher # without trying, and help #1 quite a bit and become a winner if both can be accomplished at a decent price.
    This could kill 2 or 3 birds in 1 fell swoop, and be a winner if it can be accomplished for a decent price, I believe folks would look HARD at a bit more expensive Bamboo product IF it included benefits beyond looks, like tight and deep response, especially if it came in at a smaller footprint.

JMO.

A lot of people seem to be putting finish last. I think it all depends on what your speakers are and whether you want them to match. If I was running 170SEs or 340SEs, I would want a plain matte black sub. But with my piano black Sierras, I would definitely want a piano black sub to match (or bamboo if I had bamboo finish Sierras).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike^S View Post
    A lot of people seem to be putting finish last. I think it all depends on what your speakers are and whether you want them to match. If I was running 170SEs or 340SEs, I would want a plain matte black sub. But with my piano black Sierras, I would definitely want a piano black sub to match (or bamboo if I had bamboo finish Sierras).
    Yeah...but you already have an outstanding piano black subwoofer.

I would like the sub to look good too, but in the grand scheme of things, and with costs, it loses out.
    -curtis

I wonder how much it costs for a piano black finish. I always thought it was strange that JL only charges $100 extra on the Fathoms.