Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Let’s talk subwoofers...

Default Re: Let’s talk subwoofers...

For 2 channel enjoyment.

1. Sound Quality

2. Output- Any, just clean, tight, and fast delivery

3. Size- prefer smaller more compact size

4. Deep Bass - not a member of the sub 20Hz club, extremely accurate to 32Hz
    would be great.

5. Finish- If made of MDF traditional Ascend Black, with same options as
    bookshelves, if Bamboo, same options as Sierra1

1 - Sound Quality
    2 - Size
    3 - Finish Quality
    4 - Deep Bass
    5 - Output Capabilities

The first two are of a high importance to me, while the last three could all easily be a "5" for me. I'm quite happy with the finish on my 340s and not worried about something I can't hear nor wish to go deaf any earlier than I already will with my current setup.

1. Sound Quality
    2. Deep Bass
    3. Output
    4. Size
    5. Finish

Steve

Here is the interesting paper about multiple subs I was talking about earlier: http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/multsubs.pdf

1.) Sound Quality - It's the signature of the entire brand; has to be #1 priority above all else.

2a.) Output Capabilities - for me this means enough to pair well with the sierra's/340's in a reasonably sized room (say 15' x 20' with 10' ceilings?). I defer to your expertise on whether a "lot" of output is needed to accomplish that.

2b.) Deep Bass - same as above. 20hz would probably be more than enough for me, but lower doesn't hurt. To an extent, I see this as an extension of sound quality. Once again I defer to your expertise.

4.) Size - assuming it's not something gigantic like 4' x 4'....i'd be ok with it.

5.) Finish Quality - the stuff used on my cbm-170se's is more than sufficient for me.

I am going to be in a minority here since size does matter for me. While it will matter for almost anyone living in a city, per Curtis even to others it provides more placement flexibility

1. Sound Quality.....absolutely!
    2. Size. In my 12 by 20 living room I just couldnt fit anything large. That's why I like SVS SB12 Plus and JL Audio subs
    3. Output capability - I think this goes directly against size. But I feel if you have reasonably good speakers that can go down to 30hz, subwoofers provide greatest incremental value for movies, where they need to move lot of air
    4. Finish
    4. Deep bass. I thought there was maybe 1 or maybe 2 instruments that went below 20 hz (like Japanese organ and maybe 1 more)

For very close to a year now a great many Sierra owners, including recently even myself, have observed how:

1. They sound uncannily like your sub is on
    2. only somehow better than when your sub is on so as to make you want to turn it off!

Now Dave is finalizing his plans for a sub. Coincidence? I think not... I believe we are on the imminent threshold of an ingeniously irresistible, yet deceptively civil sub plot!
    - VanJerry

totally missed this thread. cool stuff! I'll toss in my input just in case.

1. sound quality etc.--obvious. Most of all it needs to be great with music, while digging low enough to take in some of the deep bass in movies.

2. Output--I had deep bass at #2 and was about to submit, but then changed my mind. First, let me say I definitely don't need to make this thing shake the walls. What I do want is clean, low distortion sound up to a reasonable volume. I want a sub that goes up to a reasonable volume level without too much distortion. If the bass starts distorting too much at higher volumes, then what good is the rest of it? If I have to sacrifice deep bass in order to ensure that I'm getting clean bass at decent volumes then so be it. For instance, my current sub, a UFW-10, is pretty good, but I think it's a bit too small for my room, and hence I have to turn it up louder than it would like. Of course, I also feel like I miss some of the lower register (it poops out around 29Hz or so), so I would like it to go a bit lower too.

3. deep bass--As I said, this is a tough one versus output. I'd love a sub flat to 20Hz or so, but not sure that's possible.

4. Finish--I'd prefer a nicer finish to a smaller size. If the sub looks good then it matters less how big it is.

5. Size--Unless it's tiny, it's going to stick out. As I said above, I'd rather have an attractive sub that I could place wherever it sounds best in my room, rather than a sub that does not meet WAF standards that gets stuffed somewhere because it's ugly.

I think when it comes to deep bass, everyone has a different idea. For me, deep bass would be around 22hz and below. I definitely wouldn't be satisfied with only 32hz extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike^S View Post
    I think when it comes to deep bass, everyone has a different idea. For me, deep bass would be around 22hz and below. I definitely wouldn't be satisfied with only 32hz extension.
    I will also add, that IMHO, that many do not understand that in movies, the viceral impact that they feel from the sub does not come from deep bass below 25hz.
    -curtis